Can anyone find the recovery rates for heroin addiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I am an addiction specialist.
    The odds of recovering depend on many factors.
    I can tell you, if the addict does not participate in NA or AA, there is very little hope of recovering.
    Abstinence does not equal recovery.
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• "In addition, the recovery rates for those who attempt treatment are very low."  http://www.psychiatry.emory.edu/PROGRAMS/GADrug/Newslines/heroin%20addiction.pdf

"With a 16% to 20% recovery rate based on statistical analysis of national averages, the message is clear that we have a lot more to learn if we are to bring the national recovery rate to a more desirable level."

http://www.heroinaddiction.com/causes.html

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• I agree with Bigmomma 100% it depends highly on the person and various factors. One has to want to recover from heroin to have a fighting chance and even then it is very difficult.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• My brother checked into an inpatient drug rehab today. My mother thinks there's no hope, that he's a lost cause. Just trying to get information on the disease, and I'm curious to know what percentage of addicts actually fully recover.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• The good news is he went voluntarily to rehab!
    He knows he has a problem.
    I suggest you and your mom participate in Alanon or naranon.
    When one person in the family is sick with addiction, the entire family is ill.
    Your mom needs support right now. Take her to a meeting.
    Allow your brother to have time and space to work on him.
    Detox takes a while.
    Breathe
    Hugs
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Thats the main fear in someone who has a problem with h is fear of being sick detox is the start an having a good support system but more than anything u gotta want it an know that relapse is not an option i been clean 3yrs so its possible the only reason is if he has another run i didnt i knew dealth was my only other option good luck thoughts an prayers oh btw na or aa is not the only way
    mummy2b777

Answer by mummy2b777 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• roughly one in seven. I've met people who went to rehab willingly 10+ times. Be supportive, not smothering.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 11:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Great work mummy2b777 for being clean and sober!!!
    NA and AA are really the only prayer to staying clean and sober for the addict.
    You may have been physically addicted to heroin without crossing into addict thinking. I don't know
    I know there are always exceptions to the rule!
    I sure wouldn't deter a person from meetings.
    The statistics with 12 step programming are still quite grim.
    A dry addict is just as dangerous as an active addict.
    Relapse occurs long before an addict uses.
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• if he is dedicated then he should be fine. i have a friend who used to be a herion addict, he is now on a methadone treatment and has been for the last 4 years, im not sure how much longer he has to be on that. then on the other hand my best friend overdosed 2 weeks after she got out of rehab. she was in for 12 weeks got clean and when she went back to the drug she used what she had previously used b4 treatment and her body wasnt use to that high of dose anymore. i would suggest being nosy as hell after he gets out. i regret about not asking more with my friend. i had a feeling something wasnt right and just like her family i was in denile that she could/would use again.
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2011