Odd shaped freckle.. skin cancer... ?

Hi Girls..
I am a 21 year old otherwise healthy person. I am 31 weeks pregnant and after reading an article about the ABCDs of skin cancer/melanoma I looked over any freckles I have and noticed that one, that I've had for as long as I can remember on my calf is completely asymmetrical and has uneven borders. I made an appointment with a derm. for August 7th.. it was the soonest they could get me in and by then I will be 38 weeks pregnant. I am terrified.

Does asymmetrical always mean cancer? Aside from that it is all one shade of light brown and flat. And if it IS cancer, since I have had it for so long does that make my survival slim? I am not sure if it has always looked like this or has changed over time...

msxjustine

Asked by msxjustine at 2:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• Don't get yourself worked up over it because it could be nothing but it's good that you made an appointment to get it checked out. Not all of them are neccassarily cancerous. Could just be how yours is formed.
    TattooedBeauty

Answer by TattooedBeauty at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have the most cancer looking freckle/mole ever on the back of my thigh. I've had it since I was a teenager (or at least thats when I noticed it) I had it checked out and they said I was fine. What you really have to look for is if it changes shape.

For the record mine is a little, dark, raised mole surrounded by a lighter paisley shaped....thing. very odd looking but thankfully small.

Still it's good you are getting it looked at. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 2:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am glad that you are getting it check. Look at it like this...you have had it for a very long time, therefore it is probably nothing ...skin cancer is a fast growing cancer. relax, breath and double check with the doc.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Vivsit www.barefootsisterhood.com for a warning signs page; for peace of mind at least, you might want to have it looked at by your Dr.
    ShutterbugMama

Answer by ShutterbugMama at 11:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2008