Who else spanks their kids?

No hate please. I'm just wondering if there's anybody else who spanks their kids and how. I want to compare your strategy to mine because some people say I'm too light on my kids.

JACKIEWILL

Asked by JACKIEWILL at 2:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i pop my one year old on the hand when she gets into something shes not suppose to.
    MommyBre25

Answer by MommyBre25 at 2:40 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Spanking will be the last resort in my house, I won't say I won't ever do it, but niether will I be using it as punishment for every little thing..like tell your kid not to hit and then smacking them for it is like an outright contradiction in MY opinion, others see things differently and thats okay. :)
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 2:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• i spank my kids when they get into something that they know they shouldnt be messing with, and when my oldest one hits me, i will give them 3 warnings by letting them know they are not to do that, then i will pop them on their hands or on their butts,i think that spanking can help in alot of ways, i want my children to know that i am their friend and all that, but i want them to respect me and know that I will be their mother first you know what i mean?
    xmkj2011

Answer by xmkj2011 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Never. I do not inflict pain on my children. I do not want my children to fear me or be afraid of me. IMO inflicting pain on defenseless children is abuse.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:47 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• In my opinion

#1 - we are parents, not friends, to our children
    #2 - we teach NO HITTING - and we follow that rule ourselves
    #3 - children learn what the SEE, not what they are told. (so if Johnny hit Jack and we then say NO, no hitting, and then SPANK them...hmmm)
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I swat my two year old on the butt. (bring out then handcuffs and put me in prison) so do my parents and dh and his mom. Her day care says they don't spanking in their book, but I'm pretty sure she does.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I was brought up spanked and was taught that if you spare the rod you spoil the child. When I was pregnant with my son, my husband and I discussed that when that time came we would be open to spanking. So when my son was about 2 1/2 we were getting ready for Mommy & Me but he didn't want to go, he was kicking and screaming while I was trying to dress him so I gave him a swat on his bottom (he had his diapers on). It got his attention but his little face was shocked and hurt. Well it got him dressed but during class he had the saddest little face and was very depressed. That was the first and last time I ever spanked him. I felt horrible inside. Here I was his Mama who he loved and all he knew was that I hit him! How confusing is that? From that day on my husband and I decided that instead of hitting we would find alternatives. Time Outs & taking toys away makes a much bigger impact and even more so now that he's older.
    Beauty2Makeup

Answer by Beauty2Makeup at 8:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• you know i do spank my kids becaue every other method does not work, and believe me i try them all. not tried, i try each one of them before resorting to spanking. if the other punisments work first then i do not spank but if they dont then yes they do get a pop or two.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 9:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I think people spank when they don't know what else to do and that is not a good reason to do it. There has been an ongoing debate about whether or not spanking is okay over the last 24 hours and I think the questions are all closed now but I will warn you this topic is sure to start a serious debate.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I spank-
    But what I find most interesting about your question is "some people say I'm too light on my kids".
    Please don't allow this comment to guide your disciplining of your kids. (i.e. spank more)
    Spanking isn't for everyone or every child. Even in my own home I have a child that will get spanked more often than the others did.
    The general consensus is "It's done as a last resort, when all else fails".
    Discipline the way you see fit, not how anyone else does it.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:19 AM on Sep. 5, 2011