Gestastional diabetes

I know I spelled all of that wrong. But can you avoid it? I heard it was haratary (spelled that wrong too). Does drinking a lot of sugary drinks effect weither you get it or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't know if you can prevent it or not, but i would say stay away from the sugar if you are worried about it. Try the diet stuff, although some people think that artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar. Although I would say look into Splenda, its made from sucralose not aspartame(the stuff in sweet n low). Talk to your Dr and let him know your concerned, it'll be well worth it. There was a 14 lb baby born in CA just yesterday you don't want to try to squeeze that out of your vagina do you?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well, you don't want to drink lots of sugars anyway... But it is more hormonal than anything. I had it with my first, and not at all with my second. I get tested next week for this time around :) You need to be on a good diet anyway to properly care for your baby. And while it might not prevent GDM, eating well can prevent issues for your baby if you have it and don't find it right away, kwim?

Also, GDM can cause high birth weight. My son was on schedule to be 10lbs when we found mine. I ate a healthy diet and was able to control mine with diet only. He was only 8lb6oz and I was able to give birth to him vaginally... I was very thankful for that because often the complications end up in c-section.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• How much excess weight you gain can affect if you get it or not. So yes, drinking lots of sugary drinks or eating lots of food of any kind can increase your chances. And keep in mind that studies are showing that your brain doesn't see any difference between diet soda and regular... both cause you to eat more though they don't know why yet.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2008