How do I get my 4 yr old to go to sleep?

For a month now we put him to bed at9:30pm and he is still going strong at 3am. My husband, mother-in-law and my self all end up getting up with him at different time, because he wont stay in bed. He gets extremely loud and tells us that he is not ready for bed he wants to play.

Any advice? Oh and he is trying to get over a cold since Christmas.

crzy4appys

Asked by crzy4appys at 10:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he still nap and what time does he get up in the mornings?

Get him up out of bed about 8am and cut out the nap.

I don't know....my 3 year old gets up around 7am and just stopped napping. Without a nap, he goes to bed at 8 and is asleep by 8:30. My 4 year old goes to bed about 8:30 (hasn't napped since he turned 3) and gets up about 7 as well.

I guess I'm trying to say it's time to start experimenting and manipulating his sleep times. If nothing else....talk to your pediatrician...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• When does he sleep? If he's sleeping very late in the morning, I would wake him up at a normal waking up time and I would be consistent. If he's taking long naps during the day, I would cut those out. I would put him to bed at whatever time you choose, and I would tell him one time that he is to stay there. He doesn't have to go to sleep, but he cannot get up. I would tell him that if he does get up, he will be spanked and put right back to bed. If he gets up again, the same thing will happen. Then I would follow through. I know that this method works because it has been implemented in my own family. You have to establish that you are the ones in authority and that he will do as you say or there will be immediate, consistent consequences.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• To comment back to you both:
    No he doesn't take a nap and he gets up by 9 or 10 am. He hasn't taken naps since he was 3yrs old. If I tell him that he can't get out of bed, then he will wet the bed thinking he can't go to the bathroom. If I take things away from he will come in my room and get them back while I am sleeping!
    crzy4appys

Answer by crzy4appys at 10:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008