Osteoarthritis of the knee, what's best for pain management?

I tore a ligament in my knee a couple of years ago and my knee twisted in the wrong direction. The doctor just had me rest it and take pain meds. Since then I've had a few times where my knee had severe pain but it passed very quickly each time so I didn't go see a doctor. Then 3 weeks ago I fell and could barely move from the pain in my knee. I ended up spending the night crawling and crying if I had to go to the bathroom or anything. I saw a different doctor who said that I'm in the beginning stages of osteoarthritis. The pain is still excruciating though I can walk without crutches for the most part. I cannot walk up stairs at all though and after walking I almost cry from the pain.
Does anyone have suggestions for what to do to make it hurt less? Yesterday I took a Motrin 800 and vicodin so that I could go to work and less than an hour later I was in extreme pain again.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 11:36 AM on Sep. 5, 2011 in Health

• I have it in my neck/back. It hurts all the time. What has helped me was a prescription for Ultram. It is non addictive. You can also ask for Flexerell which does help too. I also take celebrex every day and it works for long term pain management with this sort of arthritis. I have also done physical therapy and they did help give me tools to help keep me healthy and able to work on issues at home.

Answer by gemgem at 11:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• gemgem - Thank you. I have to wait another week before I can even call for another appointment. The doctor I saw last only gave me a pill for inflammation. She didn't prescribe anything for the pain not even PT. The motrin and vicodin are left over from the day after it happened and I went to the walk in clinic (which is all that is open here aside from the ER on Sundays). I've been trying not to take pills and just deal but it sucks.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• The excruciating pain in you knee is probably from the torn ligament that was never repaired. I tore meniscus in my knee playing soccer as a kid and had to have surgery to fix it before the pain would go away. Because of that I'm now 30 and have arthritis in both my knees (injured the other knee a few years later).

My doctor recommended Glucosamine, fish oil, and black cherry juice to help relieve the arthritis pain.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Thank you, Rosehawk. Yeah, the first doctor said that he wasn't going to do anything to fix it because I'm not a dancer or a skier so that meant that I'd be fine. I'll try what you recommend. I should take fish oil for cholesterol anyway so that'll be two birds with one stone.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• In a very recent study published I've read, researchers from the University of Sao Paolo published their findings on the effects of creatine supplementation along with resistance training on osteoarthritis. In summary it showed for the first time that CR supplementation is safe and capable of improving physical function and quality of life in postmenopausal women with osteoarthritis. 

Internal Medicine 

CatRus09

Answer by CatRus09 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2012

• CatRus09 - Thank you. I'll look into it but I'm only 33 so far from postmenopausal LOL
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2012