Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long do you wait to take your child/baby to the docotor?

If your child has the sniffles or a cough; how long do you wait to take them to the doctor? Does is depend on their age more so?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Health

Answers (5)
  • I don't rush to the Doctor over a sniffle or cough. The two times I've taken my son to the Doctor I had reason for concern. The first he was running a decent fever and had a very hacking cough, they said it was just a cold, but later that day we ended up having to take him to the ER because he was having difficulty breathing, he had croup. The most recent he'd had a bit of a cold for 2 weeks, I hadn't been concerned, he didn't even have an elevated temperature, but after two weeks he was losing interest in food, he went one day eating no more than 10 oz. of formula. I took him in and learned he was just starting to develop an ear infection, we caught it early, soon as he started his antibiotics he was eating well again.

    Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • I have taken my boys within a period of a month because they were quite ill but if she is not crying all the time and can't sleep then there is no cause for concern.

    Answer by Mummytomore at 11:08 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • It depends on their symptoms. If they are just coughing/sniffling, I don't take them, unless the cough sounds really really bad, and even then, I give it a few days to see if it clears on it's own (with otc meds, if needed). Even a fever, I don't rush right to the dr. Pretty much, unless they are throwing up/pooping/peeing blood, very high fever, or losing conciousness, I don't rush them to the dr. I always try to give a day or two to see what happens. You also just kind of know when they need to see a dr and when something is just not a big deal, if you just trust yourself.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 11:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • I wait until I see signs of an infection that is not clearing within 48 hours. Fever, green snot, ear pain or a cough that I feel is NOT related to a bronchial issue, like asthma. If it can be cleared with the nebulizer, then I don't bother because I have everything I need. I even have some antibiotics and cough meds from the last visit. The AB's are probably bad by now, but the cough meds aren't. I have allergy med by pill and liquid and all sorts of stuff so generally, I don't go, but I did take my 10 yr old in a few weeks ago because she had a sinus infection that was NOT going away. She missed 3 days of school because she was so tired and run down. I just play it by ear.

    Answer by momofsaee at 12:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • If it's just cough and sniffles I hold off. But if they start running a fever along with the heavy congestion I take them in. But if they are wheezing or having trouble breathing I would go right away!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.