How do I deal with my 3yr old going to preschool?

For about 99.8% of the time,I have been with my son the entire part of all his days since he was born. He is going to preschool in September. I am experiencing a great deal of anxiety as September draws closer. I've heard the term seperation anxiety given to children fearful and upset when leaving their mother for a few hours. I feel like I will be going through seperation anxiety myself. How do I take him to preschool and walk away when I know he and I both will be so upset? Even if you don't have an answer, it sure would do me some good to hear from other mom's who are about to go through this.

callico

Asked by callico at 10:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I will be doing the same with my 3 year old in September too. But I also have a 5 year old who went to preschool, so I know HOW to make it easier (as long as I follow my own advice). You will be sad, but don't let him know how sad you are. Try not to cry in front of him. Just tell him how much fun he's going to have, and how many friends he will have. When you get to school on the first day, give him a kiss and a hug, and tell him that you will come back in X hours. Then walk out! Cry in the car, but not in front of him. If he sees you cry, it will cause him increased anxiety, he may not understand why you are crying and think that something is wrong.
    It will be hard, but after the first week everyone will be fine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My aunt went through the same thing with her kids. I will probably do the same thing when my son goes to prek. She volunteered to help out. It made gas cheaper and she was able to be there, too.
    amber_ledford07

Answer by amber_ledford07 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Heck! I just recently started putting my 23 months old in the daycare at my gym for an hour and it was HARD. I sniffled through my entire exercise class.
    The biggest things to remember:
    He will sense that you are upset and will become upset too. Afterall, if YOU are scared it must be BAD.
    Try to focus on the fun he will have. That really helped me. My DD took one look at the toys and took off running for them. After my class, I sat in the corner of the nursery and watched her play. Knowing she was having so much fun helped a lot the next time.
    Whatever you do, do NOT sneak out. Sure you won't have to hear him cry but he will cry and will wonder if you will just disappear whenever his back is turned. Just say goodbye, have fun, and I'll be back later. Then LEAVE quickly. Keep smiling until you are in your car.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Three is too young for preschool. Why do you need someone else to teach your child what you can teach them at home. Is it because of socialization? Take your child to the park, the library, to childrens museums, etc. and he'll get socialization. Why should a 3yo be in school? 4 is fine but 3? why?
    Anonymous

• My son is definitely ready for it even though I'm not. I know people talk a lot about how smart their children are, but my son is already wise beyond his years and it seems the right thing to do. At the age of 1, he was conversating like a two year old. He is now 3 and conversates and understands as well as a five or six year old. He is progressing so quickly that we just feel like having him in school as soon as he can start is the best thing for him. Besides that, yes it is for socialization too. Also, the schools around here aren't so great so I feel like it's best to start him out early. I'm surprised that you think it is too soon though as nobody has brought that to my attention before. It probably doesn't matter though, because my husband would definitely not stand for me putting it off another year.
    callico

Answer by callico at 12:01 AM on Jul. 28, 2008