Moving...how to tell my daughter?

We are moving to North Carolina from Texas at the end of January. It's a temporary move and we will be back home within a year. My 2 year old daughter loves her preschool and has lots of "fwiends" that she has been talking about endlessly since the Christmas break. I am enrolling her in another preschool once we move...but how do I explain to her about our move? I am not sure how to make her understand what's happening.

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 10:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are lots of children's story books that can help...
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=node%3D4&field-keywords=we%27re+moving

I'd get one or two and read them to her. Have her help pack her things. Make sure to leave a couple of special things out to make the trip with her instead of in a box. And be sure to unpack and set up her room first. Toddlers thrive on "same-ness". The move will be very hard on her, if she is potty trained, expect her to have lots of accidents. Expect her to wake at night. Expect her to need extra cuddles. Be calm, patient, and treat everything as normal, she'll adjust.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I totally understand where you are coming from. My 2 1/2 year old will be making her first cross country move at age 3. Her Daddy is in the Navy so this will be a way of life for her. I would just try telling your DD that you are going somewhere new to make more NEW friends and that in about 12 months you will come back and see her old friends again. Then buy her a calendar so you guys can count down the months till she can go back to her old preschool. I'm guessing with in a few months she will "forget" the old friends. This should help a little though.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Your daughter will be just fine...she is 2 not 12.
    My daughter has moved 4 times since birth ( she is 4 1/2) I just tell her the truth. Children make friends so easy, especially at such a young age.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Just be honest with her and tell her that you're going to move to a new place, building it up with excitement that she's going to get to see new things and meet new friends.

In all honesty, there isn't anything you can do to make her completely understand it. She's only 2. Just don't let her see you stressed, worried or anything...she'll pick up on that. Keep it exciting and fun.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Be matter of fact. Tell her with a smile )but not over-enthusiasm so that she realizes that something is up.) Mention some things that will be there when you get back. (Your bed will be here when we get back in about a year. and so forth) during the preparations. Also during preparation to move time, wonder about things- I wonder what the library will be like there. I wonder if the grocery store will have the same things. I wonder what songs the new playgroup will sing. These will encourage curiosity. So comfort about things being there when you return, and curiosity about what the new place will be like. Have a good move and enjoy your stay. :)

Answer by Bmat at 12:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2008