Paying grandma to babysit....

I read this post on another site and wondered what you all thought. My parents keep amari and I always knew that they would. I pay them $300 a month and feel that I rightfully should. They though not working, could be doing other things with their time, but I know that she is in the absolute best care all day long, and I have not 1 worry at all about her. Does anyone have a family member keep your child, and how do you feel about paying them or it being free....just a conversation topic

blackwellqk

Asked by blackwellqk at 10:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My mil watches my son everyday. She will not take mone from us. She says she enjoys doing it so much and he is so good that it is no bother. I would like to pay her because she is saving us about $800 a month. It is so nice to go to work and not have torry about my 5 month old being taken care of!
    Mommy2Dallas731

Answer by Mommy2Dallas731 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My mom watches my dd alot, but she's in day care during the days. We don't pay her. I don't think she'd let me. I know she enjoys spending time with her grandbaby. We make up for it in other ways by taking her to dinner. This year for christmas my brothers and I pitched in to get her a cruise. So it's all good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I've thought about that. My MIL and FIL are the absolute best care for my baby if I'm at work or daddy's at work. They've talked about how they would completely schedule their lives around us and do whatever was needed so we didn't have to put Talon in day care, which I appreciate because I'd like to avoid it for a while if I can, (he's only 2 months). But both my in-laws work full time jobs, and I feel like I'd be taking advantage of them. But they wouldn't ever hear of me paying them. They say that their only son was their life, when he found me WE then became their lives and now that little Talon is here, that is their whole universe. I wouldn't be able to pay them if I tried, though I think it would be fair. You're a good person for offering them a little help if they do watch your child a lot of the time.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I haven't gone back to work yet but I was counting on my mother and my MIL to help care for our son when I do. It never even occured to me to pay them...I guess because my grandmother always watched me and my brother and I don't this she was ever paid either. I guess now I'll have to at least offer to pay them, but in my family that's just the way it has always been...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I just remember my parents taking care of my stepmoms niece and nephew for free and it was or seemed to me to be burdensome because the mother didnt really provide the things the kids needed. I actually think that I go above and beyond because they dont have to pay for anything. I make sure that Amari has everything she needs over there at all times. They rarely have to run out and buy anything, and I still pay them. I wonder if I am doing too much. Maybe I will talk to her (stepmom) about cutting down on the payment since I have to make sure that I always have extra of stuff for her to have as well at their house.
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 10:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My MIL watches our children for free but only a few hours a month. I know if I were working, she would watch them for free. That's just how things work with our families. We'll do the same for any of our family.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my mom will not take our money
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• To me, if I'm going to pay someone to watch my child, they are going to teach him as well as take care of him. Even if its 400 a month, thats a lot of cash to fork out! My Mom and MIL watch him for free sometimes but since my MIL isnt in the best of health and my Mom is an RN, nothing is full time. And if they did want money, itd better be for the things my child needs. Which would be nothing bc I send all of that with him. Having a friend watch your baby and paying them is ok. But having to pay family that really isnt doing anything, isnt fair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't pay a relative to watch my child, but if they have no other income coming in then i would at least offer then something.... that's just me though.
    Mandy1988

Answer by Mandy1988 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If my sons grandparents had to watch him full time for us I would definately offer payment and if it was refused I would make sure I provided them with food, drinks, etc for him at their home. I doubt mine would take it but I would also probably do a nice gift card to eat or shop in a thank you note once a month to show our thanks. If they just watch from time to time then no probably wouldn't pay them.
    2mommies4g

Answer by 2mommies4g at 12:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008