Paying grandma to babysit....

I read this post on another site and wondered what you all thought. My parents keep amari and I always knew that they would. I pay them $300 a month and feel that I rightfully should. They though not working, could be doing other things with their time, but I know that she is in the absolute best care all day long, and I have not 1 worry at all about her. Does anyone have a family member keep your child, and how do you feel about paying them or it being free....just a conversation topic

blackwellqk

Asked by blackwellqk at 10:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am paying my sister for babysit my 5 months old son. I paid her $150 a week. She is in college and needs money. I feel as though it is the right thing to do. I also know my son is in the best care.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My mother watches my daughter 4 days a week. She puts her on the bus around 12:00 ( she is in Pre K)....I do not pay my mother anything. I wish that I had the means to give her something but I don't. I do not know what I would do without her. I feel so safe that my daughter is with her grandmother. I think what you do for your mother is wonderful. I would give my mom all the money in the world if I could.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think it's great you are paying them! Some people just expect their parents to watchthe kids, like it's their duty or something. My mom only wathes my kids one in a blue moon or when she wants them to visit her, but that's because I'm a SAHM. If she watched them all the time, heck yeah I would pay her!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree that if a family member is consistently caring for your child instead of you sending them to daycare, that you should pay them, if you can. You should pay them at least something, it doesn't have to be the full price that these daycare places charge, but at least something to compensate that family member for taking that much time to spend with your child. If it is on the occasional basis, for instance so you can go out on a date with your husband or you have something you need to do without the kids, then that should not be a paid situation.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My best friend's monster-in-law charges them, even if it's a one time thing to babysit her son. Occasional my friend will have to work a Saturday and her MIL charges her for that...although her son is already in a daycare 4 days a week, Grandma won't just take the day to spend with him. I think that's just wrong. Often times my friend will call me and ask me to babysit for her. We trade off on babysitting and I don't charge her.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My cousin watched my daughter for a week part time when I first went back to work. She wouldn't let me pay her. My parents love the time they get with her so I don't pay them either. If they watched them full time it might be different, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think its great you pay them something for there time. My son when he was little used to go to his grandmas while i worked i always gave her what i could afford of course she always managed to give it back to me some how insisting i dont pay her but i always felt like i atleast had to try after all she could have been doing other things but she cared for me and her grandchild and i knew he was safe.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• To start I am not bashing anyone but as a grandmother and for those grandparents who has been expected to watch her grandchildren day in and day out without so much as a Thank You, I write this. Those who watch your children should be paid regardless if they are related or not. This is a job just like any other. Just because they are "at home" doesn't mean they have not had to rearrange their whole life to do this.
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My mom helps me alot, she picks up my kids from school a couple of days a week. I don't pay her with cash, but I do other things to help her. She owns her own business, and I clean the office for her, if I didn't do it she would be paying someone else to do it. I also help her with the book keeping. I do tell her thank you all the time, if I could afford to pay someone else, I would do that and not send them to my mom's. Not b/c I don't like them there, or b/c she doesn't want them, but b/c it is not her responsibility. (plus she will watch them more on weekends if she doesn't have them during the week, then hubby and I can go out.)
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• When I worked my mother kept my DS (my father, too, after he retired). She would not accept a dime from me. So instead I would buy her things, groceries, take them out to dinner. They enjoyed the time with him and I was at ease knowing he was in good care. If I did go back to work I would make sure we had payment arrangements this time, I now have 2 children and couldn't allow them to keep them both for nothing. I think it's wonderful that you pay them! Too often people feel a sense of entitlement when it comes to childcare from grandparents! :o)

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008