Need ideas for my sons 8th birthday party

My son has autism spectrum disorder and hes turning 8 on Jan 7. Because ofhis ASD hes kinda limited as to the things he can do.Anyways,he is a big healthy boy who LOVES physical activity. I would like to do a themed party this time that doesnt cost an arm and a leg! He likes stuff like most boys like. I would also like ideas for things the kids can actually do at the party:games,arts/crafts/,races,etc. Any ideas are welcome!

Momof4Gr8Kids

Asked by Momof4Gr8Kids at 10:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What about decorating their own mini-pizzas? (english muffins are the cheapest way to go and the kids still love them!) It's kind of like a craft plus meal all in one! Or decorate their own cupcakes. As for physical games.....I did this for my son's birthday before, the older kids loved it, the littler ones were kind of scared: fill balloon with air (no helium) and a little piece of candy (Smarties and Tootsie Rolls are the easiest to get in the balloon). Maybe a couple of them put a one-dollar bill in. Fill the room w/these balloons. Then have the kids pop them and they get to keep what's inside. It's a great indoor activity.
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 10:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Also, do an egg-relay race! Give them each an egg (hard-boil them if you don't want a big mess) and have them run from Point A to Point B with the egg balanced on a spoon. First one to cross the line with their egg on the spoon wins!
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 10:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Dude,the first is a kick azz idea.We have done the egg race before and plannin on it again,the kids loved it! I think I'm gonna try what ya said bout the pizzas. Do ou know how long they are supposed to cook them for?
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 11:00 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Not very long at all, if you are just using pre-cooked peperoni and cheese and tomato sauce. Just till the cheese is melted and gooey : ). Just a few minutes is all it takes! And because they are so small you can cook a lot of them at once!! : )
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 12:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I heat my oven to 350 when I do it, btw.
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 12:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Another relay race, kind of, game to play is have the kids put their forehead down on a baseball bat that is standing on end, spin around the bat, with their head resting on the bat (maybe spin 8-10 times) and then have them race to the finish line. Not only do the kids love it, but you can also laugh at their stumbling around to the finish line because it's hilarious!
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 12:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well thanks so much for the great ideas. They sound just like what my kids would like! If you have any more I'd be glad to hear them!
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 1:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son loves pokemon, I went on line and found a free printable pokemon bingo game and they loved it, I also made up pokemon games like heracross toss, using two boxes and two balls. It was fun.
    Ilovejonathan01

Answer by Ilovejonathan01 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 8, 2009