Using deodorant?

My family are all early bloomers in the puberty department, and I think my daughter is no exception. She is about seven and a half, but has the beginning of breast buds, and this summer both dh and I have noticed that if she gets sweaty, her armpits start to smell like BO. It isn't strong- you pretty much have to stick your nose in her pit to notice, but it's definitely there. At this point should I buy her some deodorant or antiperspirant? Would a deodorizing body wash and a daily shower be enough? Right now she isn't self-conscious about it and it's really not very noticeable, but I don't want her to be 'the smelly girl' at school, kwim? Also, can anyone recommend a book for a seven or eight year old about body changes, hygiene, puberty, etc that is going to talk about self-care without necessarily getting into the nitty gritty of sex/birth control/relationships?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 5:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Probably a good idea to go ahead and get her to start using it. Luckily that's the kind of thing that no one at school will notice. I don't know of any books, but discussing it with her will certainly help make the transition go smoothly. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• deodorant is a fine idea....theres nothing wrong with that..She may feel like a big girl and want to pick her scent..take her to target and let her pick from the many kinds. you can look online for a book from barnes and nobles.... good luck!
    SLC3015

Answer by SLC3015 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• She is old enough to use deodorent, as far as a book, I remember reading "Oh God, It's Me Again Margaret" by Judy Blume around her age. It is, if I remember correctly a very age appropriate book and although it is a fictional story, it is about a preteen girl entering puberty. It is a very easy read, if you want to preview it. You should still be able to find it in a public library.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• If she has even a slight order, then yes she should start using something. I agree you don' t want her to be picked on. Maybe you can start her on teen spirit.
    MsRickie

Answer by MsRickie at 5:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• One of my daughters had to start wearing deodorant on warm days when she was 6. She's 10 now and still not in "full blown" puberty, but has had to continue with the deodorant.
    My other daughter is 8 and still hasn't ever needed it. Go figure.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Sure, it won't hurt to get her deodorant. She may even enjoy picking it out at the store.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• We just started my ten year old on deodrant. I would get her some deodrant
    lynettemommie4

Answer by lynettemommie4 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would get her deodorant, my 5 year old needs to wear deodorant, he is so active and is very sweaty.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• If she has an odor then get the deodarant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Daily showering should be a normal thing anyhow, nice smelling body wash is nice for everyone. Those along with deodorant should be started if she is starting to smell, I doubt your the only one noticing :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2011