Help writing an absent/excuse note for high school student?

My sister and mom live in CA and will be flying out for my other sisters wedding. My sisters wedding is next week and the family is coming all the way to NY for the wedding and wil be staying for a week. My mom wants to write a note to the school letting them know she will be absent for a week and to also req they provide her with hmwk and work that she needs to not fall behind. My mom asked for my help and I am stuck. I dont want to say its a family emergency but dont want to specify its for a wedding because that may be viewed as an unnecessarry tavel.. please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• You don't have to give a reason. As long as the student knows how many unexcused absences they are allowed to have and understands they will likely have no more days left. You just say:

To Whom it May Concern,

___________will be out of town for a family even from ________until__________. We will be in need of any and all assignments for this time. We appreciate the time taken to make this happen. I will be picking up the homework assignments on _________date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• If it were me, I'd just tell them upfront that I'd been planning this family gathering for x amount of time and ask about the homework too. Teachers will understand.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 6:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Can't she just say....Sally will be out of school between such and such a date and will return on a specific date. Do they need more information than that? I don't know.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Oh, it's for the high school student. Just tell the office upfront, these are our plans. Ask them, will there be a problem with that? and go from there.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 6:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I liked what anonymous had to say. That sounds good.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 6:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Dear Sirs:

STUDENT'S NAME will be absent from DAY OF THE WEEK, DATE, through DAY OF THE WEEK, DATE, due to personal matters. We will have STUDENT'S NAME talk with each of her teachers before the week of DATE HERE to get the work needed to keep up with her studies for the dates she will be missing so she doesn't fall behind in any of her classes.

Sincerely,

PARENT'S SIGNATURE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Fill in the blanks
    ______ _______ will be absent from __-__-2011 to __-__-2011, he/she will be back to school on __-__-2011. Our family will be out of town due to a family circumstances. If you need any other information or questions, you may contact me at ___-___-____.
    Thank you
    __________________(moms signature)
    __-__-2011
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• THANK YOU LADIES!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2011