Can a two year old have panic/anxiety attacks?

My son will be three next month and will go for his yearly check up. The past couple of months now dh and I have noticed that he act like he can't breathe when he get upset. For instance if he want something and we tell him no(this will go on for about five minutes) he will start wheezing. The problem is I don't think he is doing it for show. I have told him to go sit in his room(when he is in trouble) and I can walk in and he is wheezing. This only happens when he get upset about not getting his way. This morning he asked if he could watch "Yo Gabba Gabba" I told him no so he start wheezing. i got down to his level and told him to take his time and breath. It took a couple minutes but I finally got him to calm down. Is this normal for a 2 yr old? Is he having an anxiety attack or panic attack? Has this happened to anyone kids? I will take any advice necessary. Thanks!

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know a lot of kids that hyperventilate when crying is very normal. Plus, anxiety attacks aren't usually brought on by not getting their way it's usually more over a worry or fear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• It is possible for anyone to have panic/anxiety attacks. The website below has information on panic attacks in children and normally they can be controlled through therapy and anti anxiety medicine. For now work on giving him the words he needs to tell you what he needs because a lot of time anxiety attacks happen when the person feels out of control and maybe giving him words to talk to you can lessen his fear of losing control.

http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Panic+Disorder+in+Children+and+Adolescents§ion=Facts+for+Families
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• My 2 year old daughter as soon as she turned this age started making this tantrums where she would not stop crying one time for about one hour, and at the same time this crying will cause her to throw up I asked her Dr. and she told me it is normal she do this because she's on that age where she wants to prove herself and tried to get her way, and this can continue 'til she's 4... it might be some help for you knowing that they will try anything at this age tp get there ways...
    Cici09

Answer by Cici09 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• omg i use to have this years ago, wouldnt wish it upon anyone, i know it happens to most of us at some point in time or maybe the lucky ones never suffer.With kids anything is possible, but its not nice.
    Angelique_mom

Answer by Angelique_mom at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2011