is it normal?

Is it normal that my 6mo old doesnt like TV. she pays attention to football games buyt when i put backyardigans or wonder pets or even sesame street on she pays them no attention? also what are the early signs of austim if there are any?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um...isn't this a good thing? Most doctors don't recommend TV for children under 3 period.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• She may just not like childish things. Some babies like to hear adults speaking. My son is into boy things...If anything girlie comes on, he turns away...He's 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think you are reading into this to much.. She is only 6m old!!! My little man is 1yr and never watches tv... He could careless if it was on or not.. Dont worry about it mama... In due time.. In due time..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• She's only 6 months old. Liking TV isn't exactly a developmental milestone. It's one of those things she needs to learn to do anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now....Just play with her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's not uncommon. My son at that age only liked country music videos and would focus completely on certain songs, singers and then go back to playing. He now at 21 months loves the kiddie shows. Not showing interest in tv at an early age isn't really a sign for autism. Lining things up(food, toys), not making eye contact, not talking by 2 or loosing language, not wanting to be held/touched, rocking, flapping, etc to stimulate and soothe self. Don't read too much into it you'll drive yourself crazy. As a special education teacher I was extremely observant of my son and for no good reason at all.
    2mommies4g

Answer by 2mommies4g at 12:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree with all of the other posts - TV isn't something that your baby is really expected to do developmentally at this point.
    There are early warning signs for Autism but if you have concerns you should probably be talking to your doctor. Some of the early warning signs include not making eye contact, not seeking out or engaging in comfort, playing with toys in a strange way, you can read more about this on the autism society website if you are interested.
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 1:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008