I'm sorry for my ignorance but how would you response if someone expresses you condolences for the death of a dear relative?

I've been getting messages from my family expressing their thoughts about my dad passing away. I'm sorry but I'm not used to this and I don't know how to respond to the messages. Thank you all,.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• A simple thank you, dont' worry about coming across this or "that way" etc. A simple "Thank You" :)
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Just say thank you.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 11:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would just thank them. If you have something else you'd like to say you can, but you don't have to...if it's someone who was a friend of your dads feel free to mention something he said or thought about them that may also help their sense of loss, but you don't have to say anything else if you're not comfortable. Thank you...or thank you for your kind words is plenty.

And my I also say that I'm sorry for your loss.....(you don't need to say anything at all to me) hugs....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Just tell them you appreciate their love, concern, support.

Thats all thats really needed. You dont need to mail them a card or anything more than a simple word of appreciation.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Just thank them for thier condolences.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Thank them for their kindness.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• You say THANK YOU. I am sorry for your loss!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I'm sure they're not expecting anything, so a simple thank you and/or I appreciate your thoughts, prayers, kind words, etc. If someone does something special to help you out (helped with the service, brings you food, etc.), then tell them you appreciate their help. I'm sure they are not expecting anything or just something simple. I'm very sorry for your loss.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Sorry for your loss. You do not have to respond to absolutely everything. Just do what you feel comfortable. It is hard for people to know what to say to you just as it is for you to know what to say in return. Sometimes, just a hug is sufficient. If they are commenting on FB after a few days just put a post up to thank all of those for their support and condolences. If you are with them in person and they say something just say thank you.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• So sorry for your loss.

When my dad died, I just said "thank you" when someone would offer condolences face to face or over the phone. For the people who brought us meals and flowers and things or sent cards, we sent them a thank you card with just a simple thank you for the meal or thank you for the flowers, etc.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2011