How do I get my 3 year old to get potty trained?

My son doesnt want to take the time to go to the bathroom to go potty. He is focused on other things..

Kaleb06

Asked by Kaleb06 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's actually VERY common for 3, 4 and sometimes 5 and 6 year olds to NOT want to stop their activity to go to the bathroom. My youngest took forever to stop what she's doing to go to the potty. I finally had to use a reward system with stickers because she loved stickers: Sit on the potty for 5 minutes, and if you go, you put a sticker in the smiley face column. If you don't go but you sat there for 5 minutes, you put a sticker on the "I tried!" column. During that five minutes, she had to sit on the potty and I would read a story or sing a song with her to pass the time. I also turned the faucet on to "inspire" the flow. LOL

The way I look at it is that sometime before she is married, she'll use the potty all the time, not wet the bed, and give up the pacifier (or thumb sucking). Until then, I'm not too worried about how she compares to other kids her age as far as development goes. :)

Hope that helps!
    Ms.Melanie

Answer by Ms.Melanie at 5:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• everytime you go to the bathroom take him with you and put him on the potty. it also helps to do this every 30 mins or so. i know it is very difficult to do this, but it does work. if they pee make a big deal out of it, clap tell the what a good job they did and how much of a big kid they are. i gav my son little gold stars. i made a chart and stuck it in the bathroom. it made a game out of it. i have found teaching anything is best to make it fun and a game. good luck!
    tiger_lily66

Answer by tiger_lily66 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008