S/O - Can you be a wonderful parent and smoke weed if you live where weed is legal?

A few days back I answered this other question about can you be a wonderful parent and still smoke weed. I said weed and alcohol aren't any different and as long as you aren't going to extremes or allowing it to conflict with your parental duties there isn't a reason you can't be an awesome parent and smoke pot. The answer directly after mine said there is a huge difference between alcohol and weed because weed is illegal.

But in there are 13 different states in which there are either statewide or multiple counties where marijuana has been decriminalized...

So if the only difference is that one is legal, does that mean you can be a good parent if you live where it's legal? And you can't if you don't?

So, assuming a parent lives in an area where the use of marijuana has been decriminalized, and the parents are not allowing their use of marijuana to interfere with their caring for their children (children are loved, fed, clean, etc.), can they still be an awesome parent? Why or why not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think if your making your family your first priority and not putting pot before your family and it's for medical reason not just cause you want to smoke it. Then I firmly beleve you can be the best parent ever,
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• sorry for double post,,,but people have given that drug a bad name because of some tending to abuse it,I knew family that wanted to party and put off their own kids happiness for their own. Sad really. And some people live and breathe weed and nothing else really matters.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:33 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I feel like pot is the same as alcohol when you become an adult (not including medicinal use, just recreational)...there is a time and a place for it. If you don't understand that, you're not a good parent.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:34 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• It depends,thats like saying"if i drink alcolhol am i a bad parent.If anyone makes these things a priority over parenting than you've made your choice. otherwise when you do this say in private when they're very or sleeping and don't get so wasted that you couldnt cope or make sure someone else(spouse) in case of an emergency.
    carmagetu

Answer by carmagetu at 12:34 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• No, I couldn't be an effective or good parent if I got high. I think I'd be a lot less motivated if I were getting high all the time. Just as I'd be less motivated and engaged if I were drinking. I don't think either is an ideal state to be in when raising a child. The effects that I find most destructive are the sucking the will to do much while high, and the state of drunkenness is no something I think any child should have to see on a regular basis. If you can successfully keep it completely out of your child's life and you can avoid being high anywhere near them, I say go for it. Sadly, that's not the case with most people I know who get high
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Newser) – Possessing a half-ounce or less of pot will soon no longer be a crime in Connecticut. After a spirited discussion, the state's House of Representatives has voted to make Connecticut the 14th state in the nation to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana, reports the Hartford Courant. Democratic Gov. Dan Malloy has promised to sign the bill as soon as it reaches his desk.

"Final approval of this legislation accepts the reality that the current law does more harm than good—both in the impact it has on people's lives, and the burden it places on police, prosecutors and probation officers of the criminal justice system," Malloy told reporters, stressing that the state is not legalizing the drug. People caught with marijuana will now be treated more like speeders, receiving a $150 ticket for their first offense. (Meanwhile, Connecticut is also cracking down ... on fake pot.)

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I think that even if it's NOT legal you can be a great parent, but I wouldn't advise using it illegally since that can have horrible consequences. Used responsibly, I think marijuana is better than alcohol and so long as the kids are ok, I don't see the problem with using it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I know plenty of people who are extremely good parents who smoke weed. It was legal in Michigan up until last week. there are a lot of parents that i personaly know who used it due to disabilities or back problems and their kids don't even have a clue. It doesn't affect their parenting. I have a friend who worked in alaska putting up nuclear piplines or something like that, but there was eight of them on his crew and today only two of them are alive because of radiation poisining. He was suppose to die seven years ago. He says the only thing that helps him eat or sleep is weed. He has a fiance that has two kids. Her ex lives across the street and my friend is a better parent than childrens real parents. He makes sure they go to school and do everything a child should. I would rather see someone take care of a child while smoking weed than if they had been drinking all day. I think they legalized the wrong thing.
    mom2lyl

Answer by mom2lyl at 12:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Decriminalizing the possession of a small amount of pot means that the ticket and sentencing would go to a lesser crime, a misdemeanor.
    That does not make it legal. Smoking pot is still illegal (read the whol article)
    So can you smoke pot when your kids are awake and be a good parent, no. You are doing something illegal, impairing your judgement, and giving a bad example.
    Can you when they are asleep? You are judgement impaired. What if something happens,,child is choking, sick, there is a fire.
    Your judgement is impaired. It is illegal. Child endangerment
    Ok so what if you go to a party and do it there? Are you both smoking? Who is driving? Are you going home while stile impaired? If so see the one above this.

No you can not be a good person by smoking weed when you have children. Chidren require adult supervision noy adult stupidvision. Chidren require boundaries. Children need to rspect the law
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• No, it's just as bad as being drunk in front of your kids then.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:48 AM on Sep. 6, 2011