Probably a dumb question but I'm asking anyways...My son just started sitting up on his own a few weeks ago...is it OK to start sitting him in shopping carts now when I go shopping? I've been keeping him in his car seat in the cart so far...when can I start sitting him in the cart?

JaydensMom12308

Asked by JaydensMom12308 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if your baby is not having problems with still leaning forward or to the side, it will be okay to put him in the cart. It's so great once they can finally do that!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have a fabric thing with a pillow and straps so he's not in direct contact with the cart. Plus the pillow makes it easier for him to sit and he's more comfy. I also use in high chairs in restaurants. You can get them any where, Of course I can't think of what it's called.
    Congratulations, you don't have to lug around that car seat all the time!!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• First of all, you can NEVER ask a "dumb" question when you have kids. I say as soon as he can sit up, he can sit in the seat of the shopping cart. As soon as my daughter started sitting up, I put her in the seat, it helps develop the muscles they need to sit up. I agree with Maureen55, the fabric seat that you can sit the kids in is a great idea.
    amber_ledford07

Answer by amber_ledford07 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Sure, you can sit him in the cart. Just remember to use the seat belt! My DD started screaming bloody murder from her carseat at about 4 months - she wanted to SEE! So I propped her up in the seat (sitting sideways, with the seat flap covering the leg holes) and wedged her in with a little pillow. She LOVED it.

If you find lots of carts in your area have broken belts, you can make your own or buy one with padding and keep it in your diaper bag.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I was wondering this myself..Thanks for asking!!
    cdogdevon

Answer by cdogdevon at 12:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• That's a good question. I was also wondering that. My son can sit up now, but every now and then he falls over.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 4:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my son is 7 months and we use to put his infant seat on the car but now that he doesn't use that anymore we put him in the car and we before we do we put his cart cover on the seat and strap with him. what good about the one we have it has a pillow to help support him and it has pockets to put stuff in. you can check out babies r us for the covers for cart
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• DEFINITELY use the seatbelt. And those fabric seats are great things to have in case Jayden falls asleep and slips over. (Grocery shopping is exhausting, you know). I remember seeing a baby a little older almost tip out of the front because he was so excited and his mom was facing the other way. I interfered in that one, because I really didn't want to see much blood...
    Aidansmama892

Answer by Aidansmama892 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

• The eddie bauer shopping cart cover is awesome because it has an over the shoulder harness and helps the baby stay in a good position and not be so wobbly. My daughter has a tendancy to want to take her legs out of the holes and grab things off the shelves and she cant of she has her harness on. I got it at target for 20 bucks.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2008