CAN YOU FREEZE CHEESE TO USE LATER

LLcooking

Asked by LLcooking at 12:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Yeah, but it wont be real sliceable anymore.. it turns crumbley after it's frozen.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I freeze shredded cheese all the time. Ive never done the block cheese.
    kmstanfo

Answer by kmstanfo at 12:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I am hoping so because I have a block in my freezer right now.... thanks for the question
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• yes you can and i agree with anestheticsex the block cheese does get crumbly
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I ALWAYS freeze my cheeses. I would prepare it accordingly, though (slice, shred, or cube.)
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 2:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It is best to shred, slice, dice, etc the cheese before freezing, because once you thaw it, it will be dryer, and therefore more crumbly, so it's more difficult to work with. If you're using it for melting, it's great, but for eating out of hand, it loses some of it's oomph in the freezing process.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I read in a cheese book that you should never freeze cheese, it loses it flavor and texture.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008