stripping membranes

For those of you that have had it done, did it work for you? I had it done yesterday evening and I've been having some mild cramping and lots of brownish discharge and I'm wondering if I will go into labor soon?

xxprittykittyxx

Asked by xxprittykittyxx at 12:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The discharge sounds like the bloody show that tends to reveal itself before labor. It doesn't necessarily mean you will be going into labor right now though. For some women, it can be weeks away. For others, a few hours. Listen to your body right now. Relax, let it do its thing. Just make sure your bags are packed and ready for the hospital!!
    theitalian3721

Answer by theitalian3721 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I've had it done 2 other times and both times it just made my back hurt like HELL! lol. I did have it done for a 3rd time yesterday but I'll wait until this evening to say whether or not it worked. Sometimes they have to do it more than once.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It did not work the first time they did it with my oldest (on his due date). I did go into labor within 24 hrs of the second time they did it when I was 9 days over due. I declined to have them strip my membranes with my little ones. It was uncomfortable and I didn't like it and I still don't know if it worked or not.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It did not work for me, I ended up needing to be induced. I was a week late and my baby weighed 9 lbs 6oz
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• With my first they stripped mine when I was 4 days over due. After the appt my husband and I went for a walk, then I cleaned the house. Right as I went to bed the contractions started. So I think it did help and I just helped it along. However it was not until the next evening that I delivered.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008