What is the oldest you think a child should still be in diapers?

I've seen some parents say that children shouldn't be rushed when potty training, but I've also seen some parents say that a 1 year old should be potty trained, where do you fit in on this debate?

kathy_s

Asked by kathy_s at 10:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• For a typically developing child, 3 1/2 is too old.

Answer by missanc at 10:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I think kids will potty train when THEY are ready. It doesnt matter what we want as parents. After 5 kids I can say with 100% certainty this is true. I had 2 that potty trained early and 3 who did it when they were ready. The funniest story was my mom had my son for about a month in the summer when his dad and I had split. She was dead set that my son WOULD potty train like it was some fault of mine he had not. He peed and pooped all over her house lol. I got him back and within a week he threw off his pull up and went to the potty. He has not had an accident since. She was like wth? I said mom they do it when they are ready.

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I don't think a child which is fully potty trained should be in a diaper...

But there is no set rule for when children will be completely trained. Some kids will be trained at 16mos, others still wet the bed at 7 & 8... It's not a race. Children are able to control when they are able to control, it's not up to parents!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I try to mind my own business. My son is out of diapers, I consider it a victory. I don't really judge other parents for their struggles with it. I used to work with children and I saw how frustrated their parents would get, and I saw how rudely people would talk behind their backs about it. I just think it's not helpful to judge or be rude about these things, especially when it's a struggle a person is going through with their child. I don't think anyone WANTS their child to extend diaper use, so I don't judge it when it happens.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• 2 yrs old. They should wear pull ups all the time until they are at least trained fully in the daytime Then regular underwear during the day/pull ups at night until you know that your child can successfully wake up in the middle of the night to use the potty if needed.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:10 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I think unless they are special needs once they start school at 5 they should be potty trained.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• some much older children feel better wenn there wearing them even wenn there older just as a kind of comfort and security thing , its quite common and harmless dont worry about it
    beteesmom

Answer by beteesmom at 10:13 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I think that when the child is ready to potty train, and then becomes fully potty trained, that is when diapers should go. I don't set an age because some children really need more time for whatever reasons unique to them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I think by about 3 for a typical child.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I really don't think of potty training in terms of age... I think its more of where they are developmentally...a child that is aware of the fact that they need to be going on the potty and knows when they need to go should be potty trained... My daughter knew what was going on and started telling me she needed to go around 18 months...and was fully trained by 2...if you can't tell but how long she was "training" I didn't really rush it. She was still young. Now I've also seen little kids 3 1/2 and really had no idea when they needed to go and were NOT ready at all... even though their parents had them in pullups and then started putting them in underwear even though they still had at least 4 or 5 accidents a day! I think since each kid learns everything on their own time you need to just wait till they know they need to go and know what's going on...not go off a certain age.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2011