How do you feel about atheists suing to remove God from the presidential oath?

Atheist attempt to cut God from inauguration

Updated 10:57 AM EST, Tue, Dec 30, 2008

AP

"So help me God" has been a staple of presidential oaths of office.

A California atheist who sued to remove religion from the past two presidential inaugurations and lost will try yet again before Barack Obama's swearing-in ceremony.

Michael Newdow, of Sacramento, Calif., said he and others will file suit Tuesday in a D.C. court in an attempt to remove all references to God and religion from the ceremony, according to the Washington Examiner.

"Equality is important to me," Newdow told The Examiner. "We should show equal respects for all of our citizens, regardless of their race, gender or religion."

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry this stuff heats me. Separate church and state all you need. But don't separate leaders from their faith in the name of it. People should be held accountable to what they say they believe in.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If they don't like it, then they shoudlnt' watch it
    Anonymous

• if the president is christian, keep the phrase. it would take electing an athiest president (which will probably never happen) to get that phrase taken out. its been used forever.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I thought this is why our forefathers came to this land, for freedom from religious persecution? Since Obama says he is Christian, shouldn't it be up to him, the words that he says during the oath? I don't knock people that don't believe in God, but isn't this sort of the reverse of that? If he claimed to be an Atheist, then I would feel it would be up to him to remove God from the oath (after all, it would be insincere to swear to something you don't believe in).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i agree.. people forget that this country was founded on God. whether you believe it or not let it go.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree with what they are doing. If the President elect wants to add that in on his own, than whatever, but it should not be a part of the official oath. Also the prayers should not be a part of the official ceremony either. God and government need to be kept separate!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• ONE Atheist is suing and that somehow becomes all Atheists?

Personally, I don't care. The word God doesn't belong in a political ceremony if we are truly a country that seperates church and state, but it's not something I'd get upset about.
    Anonymous

• I am all for equality in religious practice (or lack thereof), but the oath of for the President. If the President-elect wants the oath to be God-free then I'd support that. But, for those not taking the oath, why get so upset about it?
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 12:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• This country was not founded on god, nor has it been there forever. It actually wasn't added in until the 1930's, and even after that it was used sporadically until the 1950's.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I'm not upset, but I also searched this on atheist.org. The suit is being filed on behalf of many atheists, including 'unnamed children', whatever that means. So, actually, it's several Atheists suing, not all (I don't believe that I claimed it was all).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008