S/O 2 - Can you be a good parent and drink alcohol?

Since apparently you can't smoke pot, even if you're kids are with a sitter, because that level of intoxication, even when legal, makes one a bad parent... What about alcohol? Can one have a drink or two and still be a good parent? Is a bar trip with friends grounds for being a horrid parent?

Why is there such a stigma surrounding weed and not alcohol?

To clerify, we are talking about LEGAL use of alcohol or weed, in moderation, not getting completely ripped!

In 13 states (and counting) weed has been decrminalized... it's NOT illegal there...

Also to clerify for those who think I suck so much, I don't even use cosmetics with chemicals in them, let alone alcohol. I do however believe you can be a wonderful parent and drink/smoke on the weekends with friends.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 AM on Sep. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Because weed is ILLEGAL and Booze is NOT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I don't think that drinking or smoking pot and being a good parent are mutually exclusive. Either can be done safely and in moderation without affecting someone's parenting abilities.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Weed is illegal. You can have your children taken away from you for that. Alcohol is legal. I still do not drink or even have alcohol in my home unless it is for cooking. My husband used to have a drinking problem and he is very in your face about people being in an altered state while caring for children. It does not matter if it is alcohol, weed or even prescription meds.

Answer by gemgem at 10:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I hated it when my mom drank. I don't drink. Two drinks is not as bad as smoking pot... getting drunk and trying to take care of kids... is bad.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 10:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• what is with all these kinds of questions from u? No, u can't be a good parent while ruining your liver! I know first hand and as an aunt of lots of kids also I have friends that can't parent because of their addictions!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• "Why is there such a stigma surrounding weed and not alcohol?"

IDK...my DH asked me a similar question the other day. Why smoking and not alcohol (in reference to tobacco ads and beer ads in magazines and television)?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I never drink in front of my kids. Since I'm now a single mom (divorced), even if I've had a rough day, I still don't have a glass of wine when they've gone to bed, out of fear that something could happen. But, I see nothing wrong with me drinking in the privacy of my home (not having to drive) when my girls are with their father on his visitations. Not breaking the law in any way or jeopardizing my children's safety.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Weed, alcohol, even medication drugs addictions. You become a good parent when you stop doing these things. Things that can alter your personality, your judgment, and things that can make emotionally unstable.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Weed is illegal like PP states. While I somewhat agree with riotgirl, I have to say that showing your kids that something illegal is ok to do is not a sign of good parenting. I do agree with the moderation part.

Alcohol is not a bad thing and a good parent will teach a child how to be responsible when drinking. They learn from watching us. If they see us getting loaded on a constant basis, then no, we are not teaching them anything other than alcohol equals getting drunk and being stupid. Now the occasional drink shows a child that a parent can drink and still be responsible enough to not get loaded and thus alcohol becomes what it should be...a social drink not a drunk fest.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

NO, it isn't illegal in all areas any more! And the question was about LEGAL use!

13 states have decriminalized weed! More are on the way!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2011