Why has my 20 month old son became so hateful and cry so much?

When he wakes up in the morning he is usually happy, but by 10:30 he is so cranky that I can hardly do anything to make him happy. He usually doesn't go down for a nap untill 1 and only sleeps for about 45 minutes. Then he is mad when he wakes up, doesnt want held, doesnt want to play or anything, just wants to lay in his bed and kick and cry. I am also having trouble feeding him. He eats breakfast good, but lunch and dinner is a battle. Am I doing something wrong? Please help, I feel like a horrible mother.

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• welcome to toddler hood isnt it wounderful. Im sure its just a fase and he will get through it just try and be patient.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• relax and breath your not horrible your son is going through the trasitional terrrable 2's...my son is the same way i just walk away and leave him if he wants to scream i let him...he dont eat then he gets what was for dinner for breakfast. if my son doesnt want to play with me i say fine be a brat and i walk out..hes normal its fine just something we have to get through..
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• maybe he is teething. if he is really cranky and dosent want to eat. thats sounds like a sure sign to me.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 12:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Perhaps you should let him have his tantrums without comment, and if he doesn't want to eat then don't try to urge him. Just say OK, and have him sit at the table while you finish eating. In time he'll discover the tantrums don't accomplish anything, not even getting him sympathy and attention, and not eating only leaves him with an empty tummy and no attention or sympathy.

Answer by Bmat at 1:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sounds like my daughter, she is 23 months and always cranky.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Welcome to the terrible twos...

What does he have for breakfast? It sounds kind of like he has a crash after breakfast, my daughter does the same unless I give her something with protein. The mornings when she has toast with almond butter are better than the mornings when she has a cereal bar. My daughter is also a picky eater and I despair of getting her to eat ANYTHING some days, but she also has food allergies which make it worse.

As for the napping and tantrums, I would agree with others and let him wake up on his own and throw a fit if he wants to. My daughter wakes up very grumpy most of the time.

Bottom line: You are not a bad mother! It's just the age, I think. My daughter acts like two different people, sometimes. :)
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 1:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Teething and the Terrible 2's are probably your most common answers. DD started the T2's at about 18 months. More recently, her behavior has been due to cutting her 2nd molars. Treat it if its teething.... and be consistant in whatever type of punishment you use..... and Breathe! Good Luck!
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 2:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• He sounds exhausted. Yes, the "twos" can be terrible. But this behavior, the short nap, the way it gets worse throughout the day sounds like he is getting way too little sleep.

Is he working on molars? If so, that will disrupt his sleep.
    Another thing to watch for, the best time for his nap to start will change every once in a while - with no warning.
    I'd try offering him a morning nap for a while. You say he is cranky by 10:30... try giving him a short "lay down" around 10:15. A short, quiet break in a dark room, in his safe crib may help him recharge his batteries. This trick has worked so well for us that my daughter will now ask for a lay down if she is feeling overwhelmed or too tired. Ten or 15 minutes and she's good to go again.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• This is all a apart of Toddlerhood!! IF he doesnt' want to eat, then he doesn't eat-but then he doesn't get whatever he wants later....... He will eventually get hungry enough to eat what is served him!! Trust me, both my 2 1/2yr. old and 4yr. old have gone a few nights w/out anything to eat, because they didn't want to eat the supper that I had made, and they were just wanting a treat like crackers and cheese or icecream or cookies...... And that was not going to happen until they had some real food!!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• First of all i would like to say that you are not a horrible mother. sometimes children go through these phases and it is usually best to just let him get it out of his system. as long as he is not hurting himself or anyone else and is not making himself sick just let him get it out of his system. it wont be easy but sometimes kids just need to let out their frustrations. just make sure he is safe and not getting hurt or sick.
    Elly219

Answer by Elly219 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008