fever

my 6 month old son woke up at 4 with a fever of 103.6 i gave him some Tylenol and took his temp again an hour later it was 102.2 then he went back to sleep then at 8 he had a temp of 102.3 i gave him more Tylenol and now its 10 and it is 101.6 should i be worried and if so what should i do

navywifepam

Asked by navywifepam at 12:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should call his doctor. If either of my kids has a temp over 101 in the middle of the night, in the bath they go! Luke warm at best too. I usually sleep with them after that and make sure they don't spike again. I can go overboard with this but high fever can be a symptom of so many things... It's better safe than sorry, call your doc.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• call the doc, wipe him down with lukewarm wash cloths too! good luck, hope he feels better
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My daughter had a 104.1 F fever when she was around your son's age. We gave her Baby Tylenol several times and it did not do much of anything. We took her to the ER and the staff asked if we had alternated the Baby Tylenol with Baby Motrin. We said no and they looked at at us like we were stupid. The hospital staff gave her the Motrin and the fever decreased.

Call your son's Doctor and ask if it is okay to alternate the two medications- Baby Tylenol and Baby Mortin,  what dosage to give, and the frequency of use and ask them if a 101.6 F fever warrants an ER visit. Every Doctor is different on their recommendations, so, ask first!

Hope your child is feeling better soon.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 1:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Call your doctor.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Call Dr. Lukewarm baths help too. You dont want it Hot, but not Cold either, just warm enough to try and bring the body temp down naturally. See if your Dr recommends switching between Motrin and Tylenol, that helps DD.
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 2:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Let your doctor know what's going on.
    BUT
    As long as you can keep the fever under 103 with medicine and/or luke-warm baths then don't stress about the fever. Remember, a fever is his bodies way of fighting off a bug. When you force the fever to go away, you take away that defense and make it harder for him to get well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• kaycee14 took the words right out of my mouth.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would give motrin.. tylenol is pretty pathetic for high fevers and after an hour if it's not coming down then I would give Tylenol. You can give both.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2008