How do I get rid of flees? It seems impossible.

What is the best way and what products do I use? They seem so gross and I fell dirty. I dont even want to play with my dog cause I am disgusted by it. Any advice would help. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pets

• Get rid of the dog.
    Anonymous

• ok ignore anon idiot and use lemon dawn to wash your dogs and then get flee controll like andvantage or something if you want you can mix the dawn with water very deluted and spray your carpets and where you pets sleep...
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree: Please ignore the anon idiot!
    The dish soap won't work ^^ mentioned above. It's something that I tried before and it is just a waste of time. Advantage or another topical flea treatment works very well. Don't purchase the ones that are sold at Walmart, they also don't work. Petsmart sells good brands. They are expensive, but they work. You apply them once a month and they continue to kill fleas for the whole month. It's water proof, so you don't have to worry about it washing off. This is just about the only thing that works well. They come in 3 packs (3 months worth).
    If you have them REALLY bad, then you may also have to purchase a flea bomb for your home.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• sunkist78

Answer by sunkist78 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• There is a pill your vet should have it last three days but you can keep giving it to them till they ar gone. It's like $5. I had a flee problem this summer. And it help. There is also some new out it starts with a V I think . It's better than frontline. Good Luck I know what your going through.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• First, vacume your whole house, every crevice, throw the bag or empty canister outside immediately. Then spray a pet/child friendly flea killer. Wash your dogs with flea shampoo and apply advantage or some other type of topical flea killer. Now, you are going to have to treat your yard. After this... it's just maintenance. Your house needs to be vacummed everyday, making sure to throw the bag out. This ensures you get every flea. Fleas have a strange life cycle. First they hatch, they are worm like, then after a day or so they spin a cocoon. These cocoons cannot be penetrated by any chemical. So, hence the problem. After a week or so they emerge from the cocoon as a jumping flea. The chemicals you sprayed have already faded, so vacuming is key to getting rid of the strays. Just make sure you treat the house and yard, just because your dog is treated doesn't mean you and the kids are. They will bite anything, they aren't picky!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I heard that by mixing brewers yeast in powder form into their food the blood starts to taste bitter and the fleas take off...
    Johanne

Answer by Johanne at 3:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You can call a professional bug killers. They treat the house 2x and the yard and no fleas. You must apply a topical to the dogs, after a wk from their bath time.. Once a month or the pill, cleaning the house everyday is the answer to helping get rid of the fleas. Plus their bedding and anywhere else they go.Do you live in a heat zone? I do and have to keep up flea treatments all yr long. I take the dogs for a walk and they sometimes bring back a few fleas. But all and all fleas are under control. You can also cut up flea collars and put them in the vacume. That way it kills them..Adam spray can be sprayed on a daily bases too while you are on the flea killing spree. Good luck..
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• rubbing acolhol works great, get some 90%ispropyl acolhol and a spray bottle, spray your pets, rub it into the fur. it kills on contact, and this advise was given to me by a vet, just avoid the eyes, like with any other product
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I spray my dog with a flea spray that I bought at WalMart. But, I think the best way to keep dogs free of fleas is to use a flea comb and use it at least once or twice a day. A lot of work just to get rid of them but you and your dog will also really bond with this much attention.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 10:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008