Presents...give away? or keep?

Thank you all for your answers. They have all helped me. I think I am going to give them away and tell them that because they did not bother coming over on Christmas Day that I found someone that would appreciate them more and have more respect for the person that bought them. And that it is apparent they did not care or want the presents very much, otherwise they would have shown up on Christmas day. Sad and unfortunate thing is this: I won't get to tell them this, more than likely, because they do not call or talk to me...only when they come over. So, my next question is this: SHOULD I CALL THEM AND TELL THEM THIS? or just leave it alone. The other part of sad and unfortunate, is that my husband will not say anything like this at all to them...he will just say...she gave em away because you didnt show up.

Sheriberi

Asked by Sheriberi at 1:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Leave it alone, don't call them just to say that you are giving away their presents, and next year, don't get them anything. Don't call to see if they are coming over. If they show up, then just tell them that you are glad they could come spend time with you guys, and if they inquire about presents, tell them that you did not know that you would be seeing them, since they did not call, and tell them that you do not have anything for them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i didnt see your first question, would have been nice to include part but if who ever you bought the gifts for didnt come over and you gave away their presents I dont think it is proper to call them and shove it in their faces. They may be rude and immature but that doesnt mean you have to be the same way. Second, even though i wasnt able to see the first question, I dont think it is right to have given away someones Christmas present because they dont comply to your rules. It seems selfish and petty on your side. You should not buy a gift to obligate others to you. You should get gifts for people because you want to give someone something you think would bring happiness to them.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• They are not their presents until you give them to them. They are yours to do with as you want. The thing is you don't need to shove their faces in it. Wait for them to come over and see if they say anything. If they do all you need to do is say you only bought gifts for a very select few friends and family.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• what possible benefit would there be to calling to say that? none but to start crap.At this point I think u are being petty. I wouldn't give them away, it makes u look bad, it really does.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Oh for goodness sakes....I really thought about this and what I think I would do. I would just call them up and say sorry you didn't get to make it here for Christmas. I have gifts here for you. What would you like me to do with them. You can pack them up send them off and next Christmas just not worry about getting them gifts. Send a card and that is that. Then you will have a clear mind that you had the right intentions of doing for others. This was a day of celebration...so I am thinking that this is what God would want and then all will be done. And you will have the satisfaction of knowing you did the right thing. Just a thought....and God Bless you for caring enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• amen
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• All good, and Amen. My sister in law give us something I don't want. It's help when you live 3000 mile away. But the hubby and kids like eating it. Good way to lose weight. I don't readly answer, but if I do I take to heart. We are not doing gift for Christmas only to family down on the list. Too big of family, and we poor people, but rich on life. I like the answer on the Anonymous. God Bless you all!
    SUthekeys

Answer by SUthekeys at 11:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would suggest you do nothing for now. If you call and tell them how you feel, you may sever all future relationships and you may later regret that. Put the gifts away. If and when they do come over, give them to them and simply say "I wish I could have given these to you on Christmas". That will make the point.
    1sam1224

Answer by 1sam1224 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• The gifts were purchased for them.. I would be heartbroken if my kids did not show up on Christmas day. However I would call and let them know I have gifts waiting at home for them. Maybe the gifts are not as important to them as you think, maybe they just want to spend time with you without the guilt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Why do you have to say anything. If they do not respond to picking them up knowing that they are there then do whatever you want with them. Leave the explanation alone. They don't care.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2009