What is the most addictive drug?

Which drugs are the most addictive?
This is a difficult question to answer because it depends upon a lot of factors in both the drug and the person who uses it. In an attempt to define clearly what is meant by addiction, and which drugs are the most addictive, Dr. Jack E. Henningfield of the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Dr. Neal L. Benowitz of the University of California at San Francisco ranked six psychoactive substances on five criteria.

Withdrawal -- The severity of withdrawal symptoms produced by stopping the use of the drug.
Reinforcement -- The drug's tendency to induce users to take it again and again.
Tolerance -- The user's need to have ever-increasing doses to get the same effect.
Dependence -- The difficulty in quitting, or staying off the drug, the number of users who eventually become dependent
Intoxication -- The degree of intoxication produced by the drug in typical use.
The tables listed below show the rankings given for each of the drugs. Overall, their evaluations for the drugs are very consistent. It is notable that marijuana ranks below caffeine in most addictive criteria, while alcohol and tobacco are near the top of the scale in many areas.

The rating scale is from 1 to 6. 1 denotes the drug with the strongest addictive tendencies, while 6 denotes the drug with the least addictive tendencies.

HENNINGFIELD RATINGS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Substance Withdrawal Reinforcement Tolerance Dependence Intoxication
Nicotine .....3 .......................4......................... 2................. 1....................... 5

Heroin .......2.......................2......................... 1.................... 2...................... 2

Cocaine.... 4...................... 1......................... 4.................... 3...................... 3

Alcohol ....1 ........................3 ..........................3 ...................4 .....................1

Caffeine... 5........................ 6.......................... 5.................... 5................... 6

Marijuana 6.......................... 5........................ 6..................... 6................... 4

BENOWITZ RATINGS

Nicotine .............3* .................4 ......................4 ....................1 ...................6

Heroin ...............2 ...................2 ......................2..................... 2.................... 2

Cocaine ...........3* ..................1 ......................1 ....................3 ....................3

Alcohol .............1 ....................3 ......................4 .....................4 ...................1

Caffeine ...........4 ...................5 ......................3 ......................5 .....................5

Marijuana ........5 ...................6 ......................5 ......................6 ........................4

*equal ratings

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• personally i think it just depends on the person. as for me, i never had the want or need to try stuff like that...mainly cuz my parents put the fear in me early on. i was always scared that if i tried it that i would get hooked, so i never did...and i am glad i didn't. not a life i would wanna live for sure!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Heroin is a bitch. I've seen so many people just want to die from it. Not care. Sell their children for a fix. The withdrawal is horrible. The sores are disgusting.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Iv always heard it was meth. And iv met some people who desperately wish they could stop using it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I would definitly say heroin & meth are the big ones.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 2:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I would say heroine and then nicotine. I don't think any of the others hold a candle to these 2.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• i know this isn't on there but pain pills are the worst i think.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I've heard that meth is but personally I can't think anything is worse than nicotine.
    SherrieMomof2

Answer by SherrieMomof2 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I think that's a little off. I did occasionally smoke pot in collage. And, it was so much harder for me to quit smoking cigarettes than it was to quit pot. That I stopped because I was close to graduation & wanted to act like an adult and succeed in the real world.

However, my answer is in no way condoning parents smoking pot.  I think that habit should be kicked once someone has real responsibilities.  I also don't think that parents should smoke around their children either.  I quit that 3 yrs before giving birth to my oldest. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Sorry, I had to add that in due to all of the recent parents smoking pot questions. ^^^^

LOL, not trying to hijack.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• No 3libras, you are absolutely welcome. That's kind of why this is in the Parenting Debate section instead of Current Events. I just think it's very interesting to see marijuana stacked up next to heroin and cocaine, which we all agree (I *think* we all agree lol) are definitely bad, and next to alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine, which are all legal, and see how they relate to each other in terms of withdrawal, dependence, etc
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2011