Allergic to breastmilk?

A friend of mine had her baby in July and is feeding him this milk and soy free formula that she says is about $45 a can. She says that its because he is allergic to her breast milk and has very bad acid reflux. I thought that breast milk was tailor made for each baby? Is it what the mother chooses to eat that the baby could be allergic to? I'm planning on breastfeeding only and am wondering if this is really a possibility for me.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard of a baby being allergic to his mother's actual breastmilk. However, a baby can very well be allergic to something in the mother's diet that is transferring through the milk. My daughter had a milk protein allergy as well as severe reflux. It is completely possible to continue breastfeeding with each of these problems. I completely eliminated all milk products and derivatives from my diet and was able to continue breastfeeding just fine. It was a big sacrifice for me to severely alter my diet, but it was so worth it for my baby. Also, there is no reason to stop breastfeeding because a baby has reflux.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I believe that it is something in mom's diet, not hte BM itself. I had a friend who's baby cried after everytime she fed her, and she couldn't figure out why, and someone suggested she cut out dairy, so she stopped eating eggs and milk and baby stopped crying!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It is very very rare for babies to be allergic to breastmilk. More likely as moms suggested above, there was something in her diet that didn't agree with baby and instead of taking the time to rule that out they just went to formula. A lot of babies with food sensitivities do have trouble with milk-based formulas.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's so extrememly rare to be actually allergic to breastmilk , something like 1 in 500,000 children have a true allergy to it because they cannot properly digest the protiens in it (PKU disease) - I expect she's full of crap or at the very least uninformed . If a baby has issues with breastmilk its more likely something in moms diet that needs to be cut out like dairy or citrus or even caffiene.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• its more then likely not the breastmilk but the dairy she is eating herself that is causing him problems he may be allergic to dairy. Plus if he has bad acid reflux there may be more of a issue there then you know about.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was thinking the same thing. Most of the things she eats are full of preservatives or came out of a box or plastic wrapper. I make almost everything at home (except lately I cant stand the lingering smell) and i am pretty healthy with no allergies, so it helps alot knowing you girls think the same thing.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• a lot of times moms diet or something in her system can make baby sick. Many people take the easy way out and formula feed because of that (whatever its their choice, I formula feed too but not for that reason) but if they really wanted to I'm sure they could figure out what the baby was really allergic to, whether it was the dairy, a food allergy, whatever that got passed from mom to baby.. it COULD be figured out but many people dont bother since formula is so readily available.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's rare, but it happens. My niece couldn't breastfeed as a result, and it broke my sister-in-law's heart!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree, probably something she ate, or just an excuse because she didn't want to put the effort into nursing.
    Anonymous

• What did she do to locate the allergen?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008