Conceiving after childbirth

I'm in my last month of pregnancy and am very healthy, young and strong. I would like to have another child soon after the first, about three months so they are one year apart. Ive read conflicting things about being able to conceive while breastfeeding, which I plan to do long term, and am wondering if anyone has any experience. treatments? success? illness/injury?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• There are 3.5 years b/w my oldest son and my daughter. Then I got pregnant while breastfeeding when my daughter was 8 months old. I hadn't had a post partum period yet, but I started temp charting when we decided to ttc again and I happened to ovulate only 2 days into it and got my BFP 2 weeks later. IDK about 3 months post partum... I never tried quite that soon lol. I do know people who have kids 11, 12, 13 months apart, though.

I had all c-sections and my doctor was fine with it and I felt healed from my 2nd c-section, too... so we went for it.

No fertility treatments, successful pregnancy and no illness or injury :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 6:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Breastfeeding does tend to supress ovulation and make it less likely to concieve. How long really varies from mom to mom and even from birth to birth. As a mom of closely-spaced sibs, I would advise against back to back pregnancies. It is very hard on your body. Talk to your provider at your 6 week postpartum check up about how your recovery is going and, and schedule another followup visit before you start trying to concieve to make sure that you are sufficiently healed from the first one to handle another pregnancy.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• breast feeding doesnt stop you from getting pregnant i have a one year old and another on the way and i was breastfeeding when i got pregnant and the whole thing on if your body can handle it i am not super healthy but i am actually handleing this pregnancy better than the first and when this baby is born my kids will be pretty close to 14 months apart and all i say is that your body maybe able to handle it but emotinally you may not or even physically i mean i keep thinking about two babies crying and wanting to be held at the same time when everyone is at work and i get scared
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I gave birth to my daughter on 12/1/07, it took me 3 months to recover from my c-section. When my daughter was 6 months old is when we were trying again (I was exclusively breastfeeding, but, got my period when my daughter was 3 months old)... it took 3 months to get pregnant. So, my children will be 18 months apart, baby #2 expected due date is 6/1/09....which is still pretty close in age. i think you want to enjoy your first baby and his or her first year of life before you have another. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying don't get pregnant but, maybe you want to hold off until your baby is over 6 months of age before you do...because of time to heal after giving birth, etc... GOOD LUCK whatever you decide. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2008