How do i remove small piece of glass in foot?

a container of spaghetti sauce fell out of a plastic bag when i went to put it on the counter, it broke and a shard of glass got stuck in my foot. i don't know how to get it out. should i just leave it? from now on i'll be sure to use my canvas grocery bags.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2011 in Health

• if you soak your foot in a mixture of epsom salt and iodine it will help draw the glass to the surface or draw it out completely
    tiggerzhope

Answer by tiggerzhope at 11:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Tweezers

Answer by louise2 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• You can also use a needle. I use them to get stickers out of my kids feet and fingers when they get them here on our land when tweezers dont work.

Answer by gemgem at 5:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• when i squeeze it a ton of blood comes out. it happened early this morning and i tried again about an hour ago. alot of blood still comes out. the bleeding's ok w a band-aid and not putting presure on it.
    mandielynn23

Comment by mandielynn23 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Ouch! You got stuck good with that piece of glass! I hope you get some relief soon.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 4:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• If it doesn't come out it will get infected... if you can't get it out with tweezers soak your foot in Epsom salts and warm water.
    If you can't get it out after that GO TO THE DOCTORS!!!
    Don't put glue on it or any other liquid.. .like rubbing alcohol... soap, water, neosporin/bacitracin is ALL YOU SHOULD EVER USE on wounds!!

As a medical professional one of the things I do is wound care... PLEASE don't put a bunch of stuff on it... it's the worst thing you can do!!!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I agree, tweezers. if it is below the surface like a splinter, you might try to force it out by squeezing it.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 4:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I have had that happen... it is HORRIBLE. I have never been able to get the glass out. I used tweezers, tape, glue, soaked my foot and used a pumice stone, noting got rid of it. I guess it is still in the heel of my foot. The callus grew around it and it stopped hurting after a week or so. It has happened to me twice... same result both times.

Hope you get some good answers...so I know what to do next time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Sounds like a nasty one! If the bleeding isn't constant I've used Elmer's glue. Slather a good bit on there and let it dry. If it's in contact with the bugger, when you pull the glue off it will remove the glass. You can help the drying process with a hair dryer. I hope this helps!

If that doesn't work, numb it up with some ice and start hunting for the sucker! Tweezers, the digging end of nail clippers, anything to help you get it free! Just clean whatever you're going to use with rubbing alcohol real good so you don't cause an infection.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2011