Graduation question ......

OK my son started 1st grade today. And as of today he is 6 years 10 months 1 week old exactly.

this means on his first day of 12th grade he'll be 17 years 10 months 1 week old and will turn 18 just a month or so into school. Frankly this concerns me. He'll be 18 and I'll no longer have any legal baring on his life. That means he could just up and leave highschool?

Is it terrible for me to push to have him graduate early because of this concern?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2011 in

• All my son's friends turned 18 within a month or two of starting their senior year. My son turned 18 a month before graduation. All of them knew that quitting high school was not an option so it was never an issue. They knew from day 1 that education was important and that they'd have to finish high school; it was not up for debate. College is another story ... either work and live completely and financially on your own, or go to school was the rule. They are all really great kids and opted for college.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• In the state I used to be in if you started the year you couldn't legally quit High School until you finished that school year. Maybe you should look into that, but I really wouldn't worry about it. Why quit in 12th grade?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Why are you worried about this? I am just curious. Does he dislike school? Most people I know who turned 18 in the middle of the year never quit...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• My son is 18 and a senior. I have no problems. As long as you raise them to value their education and to know graduating is a need, not a want it should be alright. I had to hold mine back. He has high functioning Autism, but you would never know it now. Have I had problems? Sure, last year when he was 17. Now though? He knows my house rules. You are either in school or working to live here after you are 18. If you dont, you can leave.

Answer by gemgem at 5:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it to much right now; I'd wait until he actually started high school.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2011