Would you every deny your child

medical treatment? My brother almost died of an appendisitis because my mother said he was faking being sick. He could not stand up straight. He only survived because he was in private school and when he went back from suffering in pain with my mother over the weekend, they rushed him to the ER. He had an emergency appendectomy. This is not a money issue or insurance issue because my mother has great coverage and makes a good salary. She refused medical care to all her children on a regular basic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would never, if they were complaining of something like that. You can TELL when a kid is faking it.

My dad, when I was a kid, didn't take me to the hospital either. I had fallen down the stairs and broken my ankle, but he said it was just sprained. When I got home to my moms house that after that weekend, she rushed me to the hospital and sure enough it was broken.

Bastard.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Seems to me like neglect! There are some very serious problems if she did not believe that her child was actually in pain.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• report her to DSS and that should solve her not caring problem real quick when dss is at your door and hounding you constantly then she will straighten out...good luck
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't care how unaffordable it is if my kids weren't feeling good they would go to the doctor and get checked out. I would never risk anything like that, growing up I wasn't allowed to be sick ever meaning no matter how sick I was I had to do my household chores and was forced to get over things.I refuse to treat my kids that way, it just seems completely nuts that your Mom acted that way and thank the Lord that your brother is ok
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 1:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have told my son before that we'll wait and see how he's doing when he complains of a tummy ache or something, but I always watch him closely and if I thought something was wrong, I absolutely would take him to the dr. If he was in so much pain he couldn't stand up straight, then yes, I'd take him. I wouldn't accuse my child of faking unless he did fake on a very regular basis, and even then, it would be more of a "if you're faking this, you will pay me back for the dr visit" than a "no, you don't need the dr".
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• wow how could you deny your own child medical attention. I dont know how long ago this happen but maybe your mom needs to get some help she is neglecting her children and thats wrong on many levels. Id hate to tell you to call CPS on your own mother but maybe its what she needs.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• that poor boy.. i had to have one also!! that was terrribleeee pain. omg. i was in the hospital for two weeks because it actually ruptured and i had infection in me and blah blah blah.. i think that is straight out neglect and abuse. my mom wanted me lifefligthed to a childrens hospital but they refused because they said there was no time so yeah he could have died from that
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• "report her to DSS and that should solve her not caring problem real quick when dss is at your door and hounding you constantly then she will straighten out...good luck"

There was a six file on the abuse this woman did to her children. The state did nothing. They protect "their own". This parent works for the state counseling others! If that is not messed up, I do not know what is. Why does the state not see her for the monster she is? -OP
    Anonymous

• I meant six inch file. -OP
    Anonymous

• First off, I'm glad that your brother is OK. But IMHO, this is a classic sign of neglect. No matter how "sick (or not)" my children say they are, I'm on the phone with their Dr. or in the er because I'd rather be safe than sorry and I would think that it's the way any normal, loving and concerned parent should be. JMO.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008