19 month old still on bottle at nap and night; how long will she scream for

until falling asleep on her own? I am at my wits end here. She has now officially been crying in her crib for 4 hours wanting her bottle so that she can go to sleep. I am tired of giving in to her.

I have tried for 9 months to break the bottle habit and now she only uses it to sleep. I am beginning to think she will never stop crying!!

Please no bashing! I am in tears right now and just don't know what to do. Also, the water in the bottle idea does not work; she loves water!

rcbrown

Asked by rcbrown at 1:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• And the next time for nap or bed..she will cry again. However, each time will be a bit shorter until there is no crying at all!

Just don't give in! Get rid of them now so you aren't tempted again! You survived this one, you can survive the next!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well I up and threw my daughters bottle away at 10 months. I bought her a sippy cup and she didnt like using it wanting her bottle but she eventually used it. If you continue to give in then they will be 4 still on a bottle and its not good for your babys teeth. Just give her a sippy cup of milk. She wants it that bad then she will drink it. Once she sees she wont get her way she will be okay. Keep in mind that she cant stay awake and cry forever lol.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 1:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I asked my doctor the same question, if you give in now, next time it will be longer. You have to stick to your guns. Crying will not hurt her. When she is awake tell her it is time for the bottles to go bye bye. And let her throw them in the trash.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• stay strong if you give in now you are only back tracking. I know its hard to sit and listen to her scream but she will quit. If shes been in there for 4 hours let her up forget nap today it wont kill her explain to her the bottles are for babies and you are throwing them away and let her do it. Tonight when you put her to bed explain it again if she askes for her bottle. she wont cry all night she will be tired and just give in and go to sleep.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Thank you so much ladies! SHE IS ASLEEP!!!! Now I think I need a nap!
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 1:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Every child is different. You either have to stick with it now or wait until she is ready to give them up on her own. If you wait, she may very well be close to 3. As long as it's only water in the bottle, it's not a problem for her teeth so make your choice - crying and ending the bottles now or waiting until she gives them up on her own. Both have issues and both have merit. Decide what's best for your family and stick with it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my mom had a rule let them cry 10 mins for every year they are old. now just cause she is under a year doesn't mean she should not be allowed to cry. let her cry for a reasonable amount of time then offer her the sippie cup. if she refuses leave the room for the same amount of time then come back and offer it again. do not give in if you are ready for her to be off the bottle.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• sorry i thought you said she was 9 months, not 19.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008