how bad does the labor pains hurt

please tell me honestly because i want to know if i should get an epidural

myworldisbella

Asked by myworldisbella at 11:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had an epidural with my first, I was in pretty bad pain by the time I asked for it. After I received it, it was 6 more hours before I delivered. My second came fast and I didn't have time to get the epidural. When people tell you that you don't remember labor pain, it is true! I don't remember the pain, BUT I do remember saying in my head "Never again, Never again" LOL.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They hurt bad! Some women can bare through them though. I had my first child naturally and the next 2 I had spinals. It just depends on your tolerance for pain. You will know if you can handle it when your in labor.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 11:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It is different for each person but I have never heard someone say that it didn't hurt at all. So just prepare that an epidural is a possibility. It is all worth the pain once you see your little angel. Good luck and don't be nervous. We have all been there.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It IS different for each person- for me, I have had worse cramps...yeah I get pretty bad cramps :) I had no epidural - but it wasn't really that bad! Everytime it started to hurt I just though- OK- I am SO excited, this is gonna be AWESOME! I think attitude has a LOT to do with it- to be honest, the stiches afterwards hurt WAY worse! :)good luck
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 11:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I believe labor pains are different for each person!Mine were not too bad felt like really bad cramps and they didnt give me any drugs! granted i cussed my husband out and all but it was worth every minute of labor all 15 1/2 hours!! Congrats on your new baby!
    momof11995

Answer by momof11995 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• How bad will they hurt? You will want to die. Especially if, like me, you have something odd going on down there and the Dr has the bright idea to try & fix it manually --- ya know.. shoving his arm up in your during a contraction & telling you to push. Yeah, not fun.

Do you want an epidural? Eh... I dunno. Might want to do your research. They tell you it's routine & that there are little/no side effects, but that's not always true. More & more people are coming forward with permanent nerve damage from them. I had 3 Csections & opted to go under general anesthesia for all of them. My back's screwed up enough already lol --- they didn't need to help it along.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It's different for every woman and for every labor she has. I remember they hurt, a lot, but what I remember the most at this point (23 months later) is how TIRED I was.

My best advice is to stay flexible, to see how it goes. If you decide you want an epidural after you feel how hard your own contractions are, get one. Despite the impression you might get from women who brag about hours and hours of labor with no pain relief, it's NOT a contest. There are no "Most Macho" awards for new moms. Every new mom gets the same trophy - a healthy, happy baby to enjoy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They hurt, but you can't always count on the epidural. Mine didn't take so I had my daughter naturally. Honestly, all I can remember is that it hurt, but I don't actually remember the pain.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 12:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• it was pretty bad, like period cramps but 10 times worse.. i have the epidural and believe me everything was much better after that! however after being in labor for more than 24 hours i was so excusted. it was still hard!
    ladyinpink331

Answer by ladyinpink331 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They are never consistent between women or even pregnancies. With my son, it was not too bad, but his labor was only 7 hours. With my daughter, I was in false labor for like 2 weeks, and then actual labor for about 29 hours, so it was a different story. But, there are pain medications that will make it more tolerable, and it doesn't make you a bad mother if you use them. Labor is a long, often brutal process. I had a iv with my daughter and they gave me something for the pain via iv. It didn't completely numb the pain, but definitely took the edge off. Remember, it all pays off in the end. Once you hear that baby cry, everything, the whole nine months, the labor, all is suddenly worth it. And there is such a thing as pregnancy amnesia. You won't remember it well later.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008