How can i teach or help my child to retain information?

i got a third grader who forgets very easily. We were practicing 5 vocabulary words and there meaning, and we had to go over it a couple a times till she remembered what they meant and it took another 30 minutes to use them in a sentence,. im not saying it should be easy or fast .. but i felt because of her lack of retaining information it took longer than usual. Same happen when i get her to read her chapter book.. i make her read one chapter and to explain in her own words what happened... she either forgets or doesnt explains it accordingly how it happens... Any advice or how did you overcome this with your child.?

Purpleloverof3

Asked by Purpleloverof3 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• repetition and routine. try to keep it fun and make stupid sentences to remember things by. It helped my kids. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• My son has ADHD and that makes it harder for him to retain things. As a child I was just like this and now as an adult I realized that then I had ADD. But this is normal too. It could just be how she learns. For her it will just take longer. Consistent repetition is what will help her. She needs to be doing it at home too not just school. I'd say for 3rd grade a half hour to 45 minutes each day after school she needs to be sitting down and going over this little by little. But for some today was the first day of school. For others it was back in August so it is still too soon to have high expectations. You are trying to get her to put vocabulary words in a sentence. Try to use them physically. For example the word throw: Take a ball and say, "I throw the ball" and at the word throw, then throw it. If her words can't be physically involved then try to turn it into a song or something to get her attention going.
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• How do you eat an elephant?
    One bite at a time!

Teach her association games for the vocab words. What are some of her more recent words? I might be able to help you get started.
    As for books, have her take it in smaller sections - start with paragraphs or pages and have her recount what she just read. Start small and gradually go bigger (or not).
    My parents always thought I was "so smart". My trick, I self taught how to retain info by doing the above. I use this to help my ss and my nieces - it still works like a charm.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Does she like music?? Make a song out of what you're teaching her ! Music and like a previous poster suggested- repetition...they go great together!!
    6GsMommy

Answer by 6GsMommy at 6:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Yes repetition and one bite at time.. i agree ladies..
    Purpleloverof3

Comment by Purpleloverof3 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I was an educator for 21 years. I am also a Mom to a Down Syndrome child. with a profound diagnosis that is performing far above that expectation...
    I totally agree that repetition will help a person put words, routines and ideas in the word bank for the brain and when that information is needed, the brain, like a computer, will be there to retrieve the needed information...However it has to be put there first: many times and in many ways..
    I don't remember the statistic, but it takes many times for some people to learn just one word and retain it..
    I would let your daughter take her time and do things at her own pace..
    Unfortunately, due to the pushing of a statewide test, the kids are being pushed to do so much in a very short time..
    I know this because I taught how to take that test...I taught this how to take this test in Spanish and English..
    It was so difficult for them...
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 7:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• As one person also said, I had to learn as an educator to do it in small bites, daily , all day..
    My kids had to cope with being in a new country, learning in their native tongue, learning English on an emergent level..

What helped them a great deal was to see hear, hands on,,,...

What I see in your child is a skill that is just in the infant stages of being learned ..

That is called making a summary. .

Does her chapter book have pictures? Or is it just words....

If not, she probably needs to go in pieces...Have her read one event only...then ask her to explain what she remembers...

Make it fun for her...Have her draw a picture...You can add to the fun by getting goofy with her!!!!!

It is so true that the more you engage your child in making it personal for them, the better they will retain...

It will be slow for you at home, but the more you do this the more she will advan
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 7:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• You're right they make them learn so much in so little time.. and they are very quick to say "your is behind" but i cant push her more than she can take. I dont want to push the fun out of it. but she's getting there, The chapter books she reads some have pictures some dont.. she enjoys reading them but when is time to explain what she read, she leaves things out or not in order as it happen it the story and writing is another challenge. However im not giving up.
    Purpleloverof3

Comment by Purpleloverof3 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I meant "your CHILD is behind" lol oops
    Purpleloverof3

Comment by Purpleloverof3 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2011

• I know you wont !!!!

With your help, in a safe place where she can take her time, she will thrive, Her self esteem will increase..She will get better at summariziing and your mother/daughter bond will grow!!!

good

VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 11:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2011