Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption by step-parent question in TX

I live in TX and DD is 2. "Sperm donor" is not on the birth certificate but does know about DD. He is a giant loser in every sence and in no way would ever be good around DD. As of right now, he has no idea where we are and I hope to keep it that way. Ihave been with SO since DD was 6 months old and she has always known him as Daddy. He IS her Daddy as I believe you have to earn that title, not just donate sperm. He feels the same way. Anyways, SO and I have talked about getting married and I want him to be able to adopt her formally once that happens. My question is... does anyone know what the adoption process involves in the state of TX? My mom said a long time ago that they had to advertise in the newspaper that the child was being adopted by so and so. My friend told me that they have to blood test at least 2 potential fathers... Anyone have a clue? Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Adoption

Answers (4)
  • I don't know about TX, but I just went through this a year ago with my DD. They will first attempt to find the father, if he can't be found then they will run an ad in a paper. I think the blood test is only if you are not sure who the father is. I can tell you my experiences, but I am not really up for writing a book here. You can pm me or email me and I will tell you all I know. My email is

    Answer by Jazak at 1:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • I dont live in texas anymore but i did for a while. I dont think they need a blood test since hes not on the BC however you do have to advertise it in the paper for 2weeks. Becuz he didnt sighn the BC it may be easier for you. Get a hold of a lawyer and he will be able to help you through the process. Its easier then you relize for the simple fact he hasnt been around.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • If he already knows about dd then would he be willing to just sign off on his rights? If he hedges you could always remind him of things like child support. If he signs off then things go much quicker. At least it does in Ohio.

    Answer by baconbits at 1:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • It might be different since he's not on the birth certificate, but when I had my ex-husband's rights revoked in Texas I had to attempt to contact him which meant advertising in a newspaper the last place I knew he lived. I also wrote a letter to his parents because they would not take my calls to tell me where he was. He didn't show up to court to contest having his parental rights ended. Since every situaution is a little different, you'd probably get the most accurate advice about your particular situaution from an attorney. It only cost me about $500, but you might even be able to get help through a free legal aid service. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.