Baby Cough

My 5 month old daughter has a cough that is really wet. Her rectal temp is 99.1. This is the 3rd day that she has had this cough. She is not acting sick but also has a runny nose. Should I bring her to the ER?

Alicia906

Asked by Alicia906 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd call a doc first. Are you using a vaporizer? They work wonders! Otherwise, you could try taking her into the bathroom, closing the door, and running the shower on hot. The room will turn into a sauna, and can provide a lot of relief!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sounds like a cold to me. Not all of the mucous is running out of her nose, some is going down her throat and making her cough.

Keep an eye on her, if she seems to be uncomfortable, give her some Tylenol. Her temperature is fine...barely elevated.

Keep her head elevated when sleeping. (we place a folded towel under the mattress)

Steam her in the bathroom to help loosen up the congestion and suction her out with a "snot sucker".

At diaper changes, if she's too stuffy, use saline nose drops to help loosen it up.

Run either a cool mist or steam humidifier. (I have one kid who does better with cool mist and another does better with steam...go figure LOL)

If she starts having difficulty breathing, the cough becomes constant or starts to sound like a seal barking, give the doctor a call.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The biggest indicator of how sick your child is is how she is acting. You say she's not acting sick. Then she isn't very sick.

Talk to your doctor about the cough. But it sounds like a plain old cold. She doesn't even have a fever - a "fever" of 99.1 is perfectly normal since the body can vary be several degrees during a normal day.

When considering a trip to the ER, always remember that they do NOT consider the patients age. A baby as well as yours will be last on the list and you will sit in a dirty, germ-infested waiting room for hours waiting for your turn to be seen.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't take her to the ER, just call her doctors office and talk to the nurse... they are so helpful!
    katieGrace

Answer by katieGrace at 3:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008