My 8 year old son wont eat right

My 8 year old wont eat veggie's or meat, with the exception of hot dogs. I thought he would grow out of this by now. His diet is, hot dogs no bun, white rice or Mexican rice, grill cheese, peanut butter and jelly, corn chex, spag with ragu sauce, fries and his staple is ramon noddles. Drinks, apple juice, water and pop. My mom has pop at her house. What Vitamins should he take and what can I do about this problem? How can I get him to drink milk?

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 1:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Don't offer those foods. Eventually he will eat what is offered. That is absolutely not a healthy diet. Vitamins are a supplement not a substitute. The rule in my house is that you atleast try everything that is on your plate, every time it is put on your plate. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it any more that night. Eventually they start to like things that they didn't before. My children do not leave the table until they try everything. I don't offer anything else as a replacement. All 3 of my children eat almost everything. Broccli and green beans are their favorite foods.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I dont know if he might be too old for this and i bet you have taught him not to play with his food but when i watch kids to get them to eat veg by making the food fun. You can use toothpicks to piece things together and peanut butter or dressing for whatever you like. But you can use celerey and carrot circles and make them into cars, you can use dressing for like river and peanut butter for the road, and use broccoli for trees and things. There are soo many possibilites just use your imagination, my kids love it and it gets them to eat better.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Not to sound rude so don't take it wrong. But your going to have to get him to eat veggies. No pop . Only like a can a week. He's to much into the junk food. I would say to him eat your veggies or you will not get to do something he likes. One a day vitamin should be given to him anyways daily.

Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Im with Jazak on this one. Im the same way. But I do let them choose what they want for lunch. My 7 yr old pretty much eats peanut butter and jelly when he is home, and my 5 year old will eat what I eat. But for dinner, they either eat what I make or not. I dont force them to eat. And they dont get snacks or dessert unless they eat. You could also try letting him help you cook. He might be more willing to try something that he helps make.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• When my son was about 18 months old, he went on an eating strike. He ate very little, even lost a little weight. I was first time mommy and very concerned. His ped told me something that changed my life:

"A child will NOT starve themselves to death. He will eat when he is hungry."

That statement empowered me. Remember that you are mommy. They have to eat what you feed him.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My 8 year old son will eat hot dogs, hamburgers, and very limited kinds of pizza but he will not eat any other meats. He will eat some veggies. When I cook, I have to cook him different food from the rest of the family. Everyday I have to cook 2 different meals for each meal. I too thought he would grow out of it but he never did...
    Anonymous

• I have an 8 yr old with a very similar diet (not meat, no veggies, not fruit) and to top it off he is on a gluten-free diet so he can't have wheat. He eats brown rice pasta, sandwiches made with GF bread etc. Our rules area about like Jazak said. You have to taste everything, then you eat what you choose. I never make special meals for him. There has been many a night when he has gone to bed hungry because he did not like any of the foods offered at dinner. I know that my job is to offer healthy food to him several times a day, and the rest is up to him. Like lilmami81 said, he will not starve himself.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Make it fun and I make my children clean there plate of everything before they get a snack. If they don't the do not get anything until the next meal. There is no way I would ever cook 2 different meals just because my child don't want to eat. I am the mom and he is the child and that is the way it should be.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 1:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have 5 kid's and my oldest is 8. She would love to eat junkfood Im sure. But she knows that she eats what's on her plate and they learn to like it. I mean yes their are exceptions on certain food that each individual does not like. But he will not starve themselves like stated before and he will eat when he's hungry. Don't give him the option, and don't even buy these foods, if you buy them than he thinks it's okay to eat them. My chhildren never get dessert unless they eat a wholesome meal first. It might be a battle at first but rather a battle now than a battle later at the docs.
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 4:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Give him fruits and try green smoothies on him. He wont taste the greens only the fruit. They are quite nice. My cousins who are around your son's age have them and my 1 year old loves them too.

Fruits and greens contain all the nutrients your son needs so I would offer him fruit.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/greensmoothie - for recipes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2008