My son is 18 months old, and has a hair facination.....

I have to lay down with him at nap time and at bed time, so that he can paly with my hair until he falls asleep....and he is pulling my bald...how can i make it so that he just lays in bed by himself and falls asleep with out my hair?

DakotasMomma06

Asked by DakotasMomma06 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop doing it.
    Anonymous

• he cryes if i am not in there so he can play with my hair...he has done it since he was about 6 months ols
    DakotasMomma06

Answer by DakotasMomma06 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Crying will not hurt him.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Put in a doll or teddy bear or whatever, so he can play with that hair.
    amber_1024

Answer by amber_1024 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son will be 3 in Feb. and at naptime he likes to play w/my hair as well! I just didn't allow him much time w/my hair @ bedtime..... But, that is just one of his comfort items and his favorite for now!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• you might want to try and wrap one of his pillows with a shirt that smells like you. or even get him a really silky soft blanket and show him that the blanket feels like mommys hair. or try giving him a doll with long hair to play with.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My 7 year old still does that. He has been doing it since he was just a few months old. He isn't as bad about it now, but when he is hurt or not feeling well he climbs in my lap and has to play with my hair....it's just about comfort. I just stopped letting him do it as much and he has also done some growing up.
    tagable

Answer by tagable at 4:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would give him a fuzzy stuffed animal and help him to see that it has hair like mommy and he can play with that. tell him that this stuffed animal is his new bed time help because mommy has something to do.
    Elly219

Answer by Elly219 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have boy/girl twins who will be 3 next month and they BOTH do this. They have done it since they were only a couple of months old. They don't pull it anymore, I have taught them that it hurts to pull mommy's hair and now they just hold it in their hands or run their fingers through it. They do it anytime I put them to sleep. When they pulled it used to bother me and my hair was all over the house. Now it doesn't hurt and they are not pulling my hair out, so it's okay with me. I assume that some day they will just grow out of it when they don't feel like they need it for security.
    gbtwinmom

Answer by gbtwinmom at 12:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2009