OK, so this is embarrassing...

So, my 2 year old daughter walked in on me while I was changing and of course, saw me naked...she asked what "those" are and without thinking, I replied "Um, those are my boobies." Now--at the most inopportune and embarrassing moments, she will say, "Mommy, you have boobies." I have tried to ignore it or pass over it so she won't think it's a big deal and say it MORE, but how do I get her to stop!?!

LOL, thanks in advance

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 1:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have to redirect. Don't make boobies a big deal and they'll be just another body part, like a nose and an ear and an arm. When my daughter says "booby!" I say "Yes, that sure is. And where's mommy's nose?" and she'll say "nose!" and point to my nose, and then we go on until she loses interest. I would try that. :D
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 3:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would tell her that everyone has boobies, but that it is not something that we talk about. LOL that is funny though.

My little ones used to try and breast feed their baby dolls b/c that is what mommy was doing with the babies.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• LOL! My granddaughter was sitting on my lap while I was reading to her, and as she changed position her elbow brushed me. I was considerably surprised when she said "boobies?" So I agreed and kept reading the book. So when she says it, perhaps all you can do is to say yes in a calm voice or simply nod and then get into some game or something else much more interesting.

Answer by Bmat at 1:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• LOL thats cute i guess all you can do is explain that all mommies have boobies but we dont talk about them.
    atleast shes a girl my son walked in on me naked when he was about 3 and of course wanted to know where mommies pee pee was and why it didnt look like his or daddies? then once explained that mommies dont have pee pees like boys he told people that only boys have wieners.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well, I would have called them "breasts", but that's just me.

When she does it, try to explain that everyone has breasts (and when she says something about different sizes, just agree that they all come in different sizes...been there done that one) and that there are appropriate times to discuss it. It's not something she'll get right away, but she'll catch on.

Or...better yet?....say, "Yes, those are my breasts. And this is my nose." then point to your nose. (or some other body part....just something to kind of offset the situation a bit)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• LOL! My neice when she was about 4, seen her mom's BOOBS they went through all of the what's that...etc! Well they went out to eat that night, and my neice looked at their waitress and said "mommy, even ugly people have boobies"... sorry it was cute and embarrassing for my sister. Luckily my daughters only 14 months so I don't have to worry about that yet!
    amber_1024

Answer by amber_1024 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Too funny! I've had somewhat that discussion w/my now 4yr. old! She walked in on me getting out of the shower and just getting the towel wrapped around me and she said, "Mommy your Naked!" And followed that w/a "Mommy you have hair down there." I told her yep-mommy's do and mommy is naked because I just took a shower! Then we moved from the bathroom and after I was dressed we moved on to watching Spongebob or coloring or something! I acknowledged what she said, but didn't make a big deal out of it though! I about laughed out loud at the statement though-but I held it together for everyones sake!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I just had to talk to my 3 year old about NOT using my boobs as bongo drums. I explained that they are a part of my body that other people are not allowed to touch.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 3:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I got lucky with my oldest one, because she called them ribs. It was always, "Mommy will my ribs get as big as yours?" or "Mommy you have really big ribs - is that why you wear a raw (bra)?" I think they all go through these stages and trying to not make a big deal about it is probably the best thing you can do. Like a prior poster said it's also good to try to deflect and point out other less embarassing body parts to talk about.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• nod and tell her yes you do have boobies cause you are a girl and girls have boobies. it's a natural thing do not be embarrassed about it. cause if you let on that it gets to you then she will do it just to pester you sometimes.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008