How would you react?

My oldest is 4 and she pretty much knows what not to say when it comes to bad words. Yesterday while I was at work, I got a call from the sitters that she had said "What the H3ll" at least 4 different times through out the day. The sitter didn't know what exactly to do to correct her, because this is the first time she has done something like this. So i took off work and went and stat her down and talked to her and told her that it was a bad word and that she had to be punished for it. I took away her TV for the rest of the day and she also had to sit in time out at the sitters for 4 minutes. How would you handle this situation?? Would there had been something you would have done different?
I know kids will be kids and will say the darndest things, but I like to think it can be prevented. She doesn't watch TV other then Nickelodeon Noggin or Disney...

nikkysweet

Asked by nikkysweet at 2:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was so glad to hear what you said about taking off so that it would be fresh. I am a firm believer in not waiting because after it's stale what's the point and the kids don't get it anyway. I think you did great. i also love noggin and disney for my kids. my youngest loves pbs sprout. my 4 year old gets some of her language from other kids that she's around.you just never know and don't want to accuse unless you are pretty sure.again i think you did good.
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 8:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would not have left work for this one. Kids usually say what they hear...are you sure that your sitter did not say it in front of her. Taking the TV away is an idea...reinforce why it was taken away. My daughter is 4 1/2, I have only heard her say bad words after someone else said it in front of her.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• That is one thing I thought may have happened, but she let on like she didn't and I trust her. When I ask my daughter where she heard the word from she can't remember.
    nikkysweet

Answer by nikkysweet at 2:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I know they are at the age where they can not tell you things...like remember things...
    I would feel that the sitter did say it, especially if your daughter never said it before.
    Hey we are all human...good luck ::))
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• she heard someone say it and when she said it someone reacted to her. at that age they want adults to interact with them. they will put together stories and phrases that they have heard. just explain to her that you do not like it when she says that and give her a suggestion as to something else she can say......make it something silly. like 'oh horsefeathers' or whenever you are around her use silly animal names instead of anything profane. like 'what the baby seal' or something along that line.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Yep, I agree, my daughter only says what she hears, she doesn't know that it is bad, especially when the person she looks up to is doing it. I'd have a SERIOUS talk with the sitter. Why would the sitter say "what the hell" to a child
    Anonymous

• I meant to add, I left work so it would be fresh. So she would know why she was getting in trouble. If I would have waited till I got home she wouldn't have know what I was talking about.
    nikkysweet

Answer by nikkysweet at 4:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would not left work I would have told the sitter what an okay consequence would be or maybe even put her on the phone and talk to her and tell her what her consequence would be. And then had a (nother) talk with her when I got home. And followed through on the consequence.
    The sitter may have said it or she may have heard someon outside saying or anything.... sometimes they don't come out with it till a while after they heard it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2008