• In the Spotlight:

I breastfeed my 7mo daughter, but I am going on vacation without her soon. I am afraid I'll be just a little short on stored breast milk. If I have to give her formula, should I do half and half bottles? Will it upset her stomach if I mix it up? Not a clue what to do...

josiesmama1207

Asked by josiesmama1207 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mixing is fine --- that's how most people usually switch over from breast/formula to regular milk. With my boys, I had to do both when they were really little -- and so sometimes they got boobie milk, sometimes they got formula -- and they did fine.

However, starting her off on half/half might be a bit much for her --- especially with all the iron in the formula. Maybe do 2oz formula to 6oz milk. I was lucky enough to have all my kids when the low-iron stuff was still available --- my kids were never able to tolerate the iron-fortified stuff. And, I found, that once they get a taste of formula, it doesn't take long at all for them to develope a preference for it.

So... keep that in mind & keep a good supply of Mylecon handy... and I think it'll be okay.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I went stright from breast to formula i had no milk, mixing messed up her tummy so try goodstart with dha and ara the orange can. Also WIC pays for it, try it out at least. Good luck
    LilMamaCrooks

Answer by LilMamaCrooks at 9:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008