Why?

Why do people post medical and emergency posts? Shouldnt they just go to the dr, or at least call the dr or ask a nurse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Why do people ask half the things that they do on here? A LOT of it they could google and get more strait forward answers...*shrug*
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think they just want to make sure that it is an an emergency and that they are not just paranoid.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• maybe a nurse is on here to help IDK

Anonymous

• I think sometimes it's hard to tell if it is as big a deal as it seems to us as mommies :) It's nice to have some where to turn and say "Should I be more or less concerned here??" My husband usually does that for me but it weren't for him I'd just be up at the ER all the time :P
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 2:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Some people can't afford to go to the doctors. Or are maybe embarrased to call a doctor that isn't theirs. There are a lot of smart moms on here, so if they can get some help on here then why not try? I can't say that there aren't some no brainers on here sometimes, and yes people could always google things. But this is a site for moms to help each other and get advice. Why do you think there is a health section on here?!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• There are some questions that make me say "Hmmm?"

But for the most part they are usually questions that seem out of left field but valid. Sometimes we just need reassurance that it does happen and it isn't cause for immediate freaking out. Sometimes we can't afford to visit a doctor. But if I were having a problem I would visit a site like webmd.com first.

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 3:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• if I'm asking a question its usually just to validate the other information that I've received. If something was really wrong, we'd have already called the doctor. Often I have, and I never post about emergency things until after their over to see what I could have done differently. It's a good way to gain insight about things you are unsure about without having to sift through medical jargon and irrelevant or incorrect information. If your getting information from other moms, chances are they've gone through it, they know something, or if they're wrong someone does know the right information and can clarify.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think if its serious enough to be worried you should be calling a real doc. Not asking questions on Dr. Cafemom. Besides that, why would you trust strangers on line to tell you important stuff about your health?
    Anonymous