How can I get my son to use a different sippy cup?

I got my son off of bottles when he was 10 months old. He has used nuby sippy cups for the past 3 months. They have silicone spouts on them and they are really hard to clean. I want to get him to drink out of cups with plastic spouts on them. He will drink a few sips out of it sometimes...but nothing more than that. Any advice?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just get rid of the nuby ones all together. If they arent there, then he can't use them, and he will have to use something else.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• if hes thirsty enough, he will drink out of whatever you give him.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Make this switch the same way you did the previous one. Personally, I'd move on to straw cups. They have some out there that are "spill proof".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• throw away all other sippie cups. only use the ones you want him to use. he will fight it but he will learn.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• krystal hi addyson has the same issue they like the soft tip its bottle like eventually though they start to chew thru them as well.. i give addyson the soft tip ones for his milk and the hard tip for his juice he will not drink juice out of the hard tip i agree they are awful to clean but his happiness and comfort is probably more important than dishes this is what i tell myself also if youre son is still teething the soft tip is better on his gums and teeth, you can try the dr brown sippy cup they come all apart but are 6.00 each.. its a trade off but dont put the poor baby thru cold turkey i just dont think that is very nice.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 4:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• sorry meant he will not drink milk our of the hard tip one.. oops..
    danahake

• I can't get him to drink out of a straw...he just chews on them.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Try getting a sippy with a soft plastic spout on it, like a playtex one, its soft on the end not just plastic, then once he is use to that you can try switching to one that is just plastic.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 6:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Try getting some cups with his fav characters on them. My son wouldnt drink out of them either. Then I got him some Elmo and Cars cups and he loved them after that. He was so proud to show everyone who would listen his cups.
    Sweetiemama717

Answer by Sweetiemama717 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008