Do you always have to get a catheter during labor?

I hate them...I have had too many from having bladder problems in the past and I just don't want one.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 2:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• NOt unless you get an epidural
    Anonymous

• I think so but i'm sure some women have protested it. I know for sure you do with c-sections and I've got them each time... ekk
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• you can't even feel them put it in.. i loved it after i had my son because i slept and didn't have to worry about getting up to pee... i don't know the reasons why they do whether its convenience or if its so you don't pee on your child?? i don't know
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The only time I had to get it done was after I got the epidural. Up to that point I was waddling with the IV in hand to the bathroom :-D.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 2:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• So is there any way to make it not hurt so bad because I am getting an epidural....hopefully unless it goes so fast I don't have time. I guess its because then you can't feel it if you need t pee? But what does it matter if you are trying to push out a baby?
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my sisters didnt have them.. one had an epidural the other went with out.. i had 2 bc my kids were c sections
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I've had 3 epidurals and only has a catheter for the first one...but she only inserted it long enough for me to empty my bladder and then took it out. That was the only time it was in.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had two babies, two epidurals, and was never catheterized. I should have been with the second one, though. I had a blood pressure complication and needed IV fluids. Apparently, no one thought about this because I peed everywhere with the first push!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Tell them to give you the cath after your epidural...you won't feel a thing
    Anonymous

• I had a catheter for both. Wasn't too bad, and they take it out as soon as they stop the epidural.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008