Induction

I am 38 weeks and 3 days and am being induced tomorrow. Any one have any advice to give me? Is it true that the pain is a lot worse with an induction than a normal delivery and how much worse is it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i was induced and had a great labor and delivery.. the only thing that was painfull was my son when i pushed he pushed down towards my butt for 2 hours the dr had to use a vacuum to get him to come straight... i had a bruised butt for a few weeks lol
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was just induced a couple of days ago due to pre-e, and I can tell you that the pain is pretty bad. I tried to use hypnobirthing to control it, but it only worked during the first half of the labor, then after that, the contractions were like transitional labor for about 7 hours. I made it fine for 7 hours, but was stuck at 5 cm the whole time. I decided to give in to an epidural to save myself from a c-seciton, I figured it would allow my body enough rest let the contractions do their job. If you're going for as natural a labor and delivery as possible, try to go as long as possible without releif, sway your hips and walk around as much as you can to encourage dialation and effacement. But... If you get stuck, don't feel bad about accepting the epidural, if you want to avoid a c-seciton it could be the best route for you.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well I was induced too... and it was very painful. I can't sya for sure if it was worse than labor b/c some women i know did just fine with it. After 38 hrs of labor and forceps I had a c-section. I know they say the risk is slighting larger for a c-section when labor isn't natural but you never know. On the up side, your baby will be here safely tomorrow either way!

AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was induced because of preeclampsia and blood pressure issues. The worse part for me was feeling like I missed out on going into labor by myself. It was just a lot of waiting. I was induced at 8:45 and nothing happened. I was 3 cm all day. They broke my water at 1 to speed things up.....I stayed at 3 cm. Finally around 7 they start talking about doing a c section because nothing was happening and all of a sudden I jumped to 9 cm and was at 10 by 8 and my son was there at 8:28 pm. I can't tell you if the pain was worse because he's my first, but I've heard the contractions are worse.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was induced with my first and only so I can't answer if it's worse. I was induced at 41 weeks and it wasn't bad at all !!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Why are you being induced so early? It's risky. Inductions can be more painful because the contractions aren't regulated by your body, they're forced upon you & you're unable to move about & around to help deal with the uncomfortableness you're experiencing. Unless it's medically needed, I would wait until the baby is ready to be born.
    Anonymous

• Yes why are you being induced?

I was with my first because my water broke EARLY and I wasnt having contractions on my own it was painfull. I ended up having a c-section and have had to have one with my other children. This time I didnt give my body enough time to heal and I am in horrible pain but the DR wont do anything until 39 weeks she wont even think about it unless I go into labor.
    Anonymous

• not trying to scare you... but i was induced and the patocin made the contractions really bad but i was dialating any furthrt.... my blood pressure began to go up and the babys heart beat began to drop so... they took me in for an emergency c-section. hopefully it wont turn out that way for you... good luck sweetheart.
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 3:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was induced. It really was hardly painful at all untill transition labor then I wanted the epidural! I was 4.5 cm dilated and 95% effaced when I was induced though, just wasn't contracting on my own. I've heard if your cervix isn't "ripe", inductions can be very painful
    CMcDougal

Answer by CMcDougal at 3:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was also induced.. it was really painful and while I went in not wnting an epidural I ended up getting one 2 hours before having the baby when I was 5cm dialated. But before that the contractions were really bad to the point where I quit breathing. that was also with Stadol tho.. so I would recommend holding out as long as you can, but entertain the thought of getting an epidural. You may be able to do it without one but if you handle pain the way I do you'll be asking for the epidural!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008