Sharing breastmilk

I've heard of breastmilk sharing and donating, but has anyone done it? Risks? I'm pregnant now and am sure that i'll be able to produce enough breastmilk for my son and then some. Should I look into donating? How can I make sure some perv doesn't end up buying it? Would it be better to try to find a local mom that's having trouble rather than have it shipped off to be pasteurized then sold?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I donated through HMBANA, and found it to be much easier than I thought it would be. The screening process is thorough, but once you're a donor, it's easy to do, they give you everything you need. Milk is pooled with multiple donors, pasteurized and then spot checked for bacterial contamination before sent out to the recipients. I highly encourage anyone with an ample supply (like I had) to try it.

http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=donations
    Anonymous

• I think it's a great idea to donate it! But I'd have the same concerns as you. I wouldn't know how to find a local mom, but I would recommend finding a local mom to help before sending it off to somewhere random!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 3:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have never heard of anyone doing it, but am now kinda curious just to know.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I've nursed my friends son (once) and also given her pumped milk for him. Milkshare is a legit place to go. Keep in mind that pumping can be a pain in the butt.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You could also go to your local La Leche League, that would be a good place to find local moms in need.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I've seen listings for free breastmilk on craigslist. I personally would be scared to give my baby someone else's bm unless it came from a place where it had been screened for drugs or infections. I'm not saying you might be doing drugs, but you never know.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• milshare is a good place also try getting a hold of your local hospital they may know other places or may even have a breasmilk donation center of there own. our local hospital does they use it for pre term babies whos mothers cant breastfeed.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well I wouldn't buy it off of craigslists lol. I agree with checking into LLL
    Anonymous

• my friend offered to give my breastmilk for my son because we were in a restaurant and he was getting fussy. I thought it was a nice jester but I'd prefer to give him formula over someone else's breast milk. That's just me...It's supposed to have all kinds of antibodies in it but who knows what kind of stuff someone else's has in it. Especially if they take certain meds or had vaccines recently or anything like that!
    Anonymous

• I would just donate to a milk bank, unless I had a personal friend who needed it. A milk bank will test and screen all milk. (not that I do, eat, drink, take anything odd, but I wouldn't want there to be any doubt)
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 8:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008